Nsf door and glowplugs

Shaun1975

Good morning all, after a little help, support and advice.

We have a freelander td4 3dr on a 06 plate. Some idiot reversed into the wife and put a very large dent into the nsf door and because of age of car the insurance wrote it off but we bought it back. So I'm after a door in black for the car now anyone help and is it easy to replace?

Also on mornings the old girl takes some starting up once she fires up she kicks a bit of smoke out the exhaust, she has done 140k miles so could she need new Glowplugs?

" idiot reversed into the wife "     "Also on mornings the old girl takes some starting up once she fires up she kicks a bit of smoke out the exhaust"

To get this clear we are talking about the Freelander aren't we?   :)

Yes sounds like glowplugs, I had just this on Citroen.  You will probably find that only one needs changing so if you can get to them with a meter you might be able to determine which one is opencircuit.

Biggest problem replacing a door is the weight, you will need a couple of helpers.

If you are in the UK and your TD4 is struggling to start at this time of year in these temps,I wouldn't be looking at the glow plugs. Poor fuel supply from a partly clogged filter or a dying electric fuel pump would be more likely. Even in winter a TD4 should fire up quickly without waiting for the glows to get hot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ally V8 said:

If you are in the UK and your TD4 is struggling to start at this time of year in these temps,I wouldn't be looking at the glow plugs. Poor fuel supply from a partly clogged filter or a dying electric fuel pump would be more likely. Even in winter a TD4 should fire up quickly without waiting for the glows to get hot.

My M47 was able to start all last winter with just two functioning plugs so at this time of year you shouldn't be seeing any trouble.

Before getting dirty with the spanners get the codes read, the M47 will tell you if its got any issues with glow plugs.

The controller will also warm the glow plugs for a while after starting but beware if one or more of the outputs on the controller fail it will report a faulty glow plug.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:04 PM, GW8IZR said:

My M47 was able to start all last winter with just two functioning plugs so at this time of year you shouldn't be seeing any trouble.

Before getting dirty with the spanners get the codes read, the M47 will tell you if its got any issues with glow plugs.

The controller will also warm the glow plugs for a while after starting but beware if one or more of the outputs on the controller fail it will report a faulty glow plug.

What is the M47 and Controller 

I think the engine in your FL is a BMW M47 derivative and you should be able to extract fault codes from the vehicle that will give you a better idea where your problems may lie.

Regardless of the engine parentage I don't predict glow plugs being the issue but rather than just paying to swap them I reckon its worth trying to diagnose the fault first.

HTH