Questions about my P 38

Reinhoud

Hi, 

My name is Reinhoud, 43 yo, I live in Tasmania, I'm a Dutch immigrant, so if my English isn't all that, you know my excuse.. ;)

Last year I bought a Range Rover P38 (4.6 HSE 1996) from the local wreckers. Exterior quite alright, racing green, interior, beige leather almost immaculate for $400 with a stuffed engine, heads, radiator and key missing, abandoned by a mainlander.

Meanwhile, I've got it running, without having a key! Top hat liners, high comp 4.0 pistons and a mild cam, heads ported.

My questions; do all P38's have an immobilizer? If not, how close does the key have to be to the ignition for it to engage the immobilizer?

2nd question; does the P38 have double/twin wires from the battery to the starter motor and the alternator?

Thanks

Regards from down under

7 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

My questions; do all P38's have an immobilizer? If not, how close does the key have to be to the ignition for it to engage the immobilizer?

It can be disabled in the BeCM. The passive one, at least (which looks at the key transponder).

7 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

2nd question; does the P38 have double/twin wires from the battery to the starter motor and the alternator?

Never noticed anything like that. Have you got any pictures?

Thanks for your reply.

It was a little bit of a puzzle doing the wiring, because of the 2 extra wires, the rest was easy.

There is a wiring loom, to the starter motor, and a section goes to the injection and alternator, that was easy.

But there where also 2 thick separate wires going from battery to starter motor and alternator.

When you just look at your engine, you probably won't even notice it.

When you take a closer look at the back of the alternator, you should see if there are 2 wires or 1.

Because I have never seen this before with a car, and the wires are not put in afterwards it confused me a bit, that's why I like to know if it's a P38 thing.