Starter solenoid

s2hotdog

Yesterday after my offroading at broxhead and deep wading my 90 disco 200tdi would not start

Most inconveineaint as it always is

Anyway after fiddling with the earth and live battery leads and shorting the starter motor and then hitting the starter motor and solidiod it fired up and was ok

Is there any maintence that can be carried out on the solidiod ?

Cheers

Steve

the solenoid is a pretty easy piece of kit to take apart and clean. No idea just how much benefit it has, and there are various suggestion about what oils or not to use on them.

Worth getting some decent duty wire to do a new cable from solenoid to starter motor, I think that was the main cause of problems on the 2 I have had a apart.

oh, just remembered some v important advice, which might sound obvious but caught me out..

if you decide to test it, the piston bit flys in with a heartstopping speed, and will also shoot out again under the spring with a good bit of force, so make sure that it's not pointing at you, or a window etc.

I did it and the thing shot across the cab of the 90 leaving me feeling pretty foolish.

Yesterday after my offroading at broxhead and deep wading my 90 disco 200tdi would not start

Most inconveineaint as it always is

Anyway after fiddling with the earth and live battery leads and shorting the starter motor and then hitting the starter motor and solidiod it fired up and was ok

Is there any maintence that can be carried out on the solidiod ?

Cheers

Steve

More likely to be crud on the little spade connector that provides power from the ignition switch.

Try removing the spade, cleaning the starter contact with sandpaper and then replace the spade connector with a new one.

A bit tight under the exhaust manifold, but not impossible.

You can partially strip the solenoid, but apart from the elctrical connections and making sure the piston is free inside it - there's not much else you can do. The solenoid does two things - engage the starter dog with the flywheel ring gear, and complete a connection between the battery and main starter motor. If there's no click when you turn the key, check electrical connections - the small spade connector is the one from the ignition. You could remove this wire and connect temporarily directly from the battery - if the solenoid clicks or the engine turns over, then you have ignition/electrical problem. If the solenoid does click, but the starter doesn't turn the engine, then the solenoid is likely to be faulty (it isn't making the connection from the battery to the main starter). If the main starter spins, but doesn't engage with the flywheel ring gear, then the engaging mechanism has seized or broken. Whenever I take a solenoid apart, I only use WD40 to lightly lubricate it - oil or grease will trap dirt I think and cause problems again.

Les :)

I expect it was the ignition spade connector

When I turned the ignition on there was no click at all - left the ignition on by mistake and started to undo the main battery wire feed - needless to say - sparkes and the starter spinning by shorting with the spanner after that switched the ignition off and tapped the solenoid then retried - fired up ok so I expect I disturbed the ignition wire in the process - it worked fine later that day I will have a closer look tonight and clean all

Thanks for the replies

Cheers

Steve