Defender steering shaft swap

I have an 85 90, with what I believe is a 36 spline steering rack. 

I'm inclined to swap it for a 48 spline shaft as I have one attached to my new bulkhead.

Can they just be swapped over? Or is the other end also specifically splined on the uni joint end?

Basically I bought a complete 2014 bulkhead of a wrecked puma, and as it has the steering column attached with ignition im wanting to keep it together. Had to deal with sheer bolts once already in my project!

48 minutes ago, western said:

AFAIK only the steering wheel end is different, so if you fit a 48 spline column you will need the correct 48 spline steering wheel, the alternative LR steering wheel can be seen on http://www.web-rover.co.uk/articles-steeringwheels.html

Hmm maybe I already have a 48 spline then as I  have a type B wheel! That's interesting!

I already have a puma wheel kicking about that came with my bulkhead. I plan to fit a removable wheel boss and get a boss lock.

That's part of the reason I'm asking lol as I want to buy the stuff without having to go outside and get cold!