Centralise steering wheel ?

Flying Frank

My FL1 steering wheel is about 30' away from its correct central position. Haynes manual indicates removal of airbag ( obviously ) before removing steering wheel and resiting in the desired position. Anyone know if the airbag light will need re-setting after everything is put back together ?

Thanks.

I will be removing the airbagged steering wheel on my D2 soon and have done numerous searches and watched several videos that include the topic and none of them have mentioned resetting the SRS light... You DO, of course have to remove the battery some minutes (people say anything from 5 to 30 minutes - I am going to go for a cup of tea) before starting work and not reconnect it until after everything is connected so I can't see how the BCU can tell if the airbag has been disconnected and reconnected while it was 'offline' anyway...

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Hi many thanks for the above reply. Yes, I was well aware of needing to disconnect battery power before attempting to remove the airbag ( including a time delay of 10-15 minutes Haynes suggests ) On Audis I've had in the past, the airbag light remained on after having been removed and of course it was a dealer re-set that was required after the steering wheel and bag were replaced. Have already had to disconnect the battery once on the F/L for another reason and to my surprise , I didn't lose the radio ( just as well as I don't have the code anyway ) so just maybe, there will be no need for a re-set of the airbag light.  Fingers crossed.

unless you know the wheel has been off previously it is unlikely the wheel is miss-located on the splines, its far more common for the tracking to be the cause, a track rod end being replaced incorrectly could easily cause that level of misalignment...