Transmission/4wd issues

sixtwoeight

On 30/03/2018 at 10:29 AM, lo-fi said:

I've had a couple in pieces, neither as bad as that. Poor thing has seen some abuse, hasn't it. Rushed changes mostly, by the looks of it. 

This is a great opportunity to develop a good feel for what's right and what's not, and from what you're saying I reckon you're on the right track. I've seen some issues with after market synchro hubs not being riveted correctly, so go genuine if you can or inspect very carefully before fitting. There was also a thread about reverse popout recently, which turned out to be defective after market parts, but I can't find it right now. The synchro is probably going to be tired anyway, damage aside, so wise to replace. Clean the bearings up thoroughly, give them a light oiling and run round by hand to feel any roughness or wear - might as well change too if you're in there and they're knarley. 

First dog teeth don't look too hot, no, and possibly the source of your first gear issue. I'd be replacing that. 

Yep, pretty sure that's an oil groove, not damage. 

The inner teeth don't look terrible. Very small burrs can be needle filed, but overall its a judgement call as to whether it's more than just the odd burr. 

The 3/4 inner teeth are nicely chowdered, aren't they. Again, they'll work, but you'd be better off putting something better in if you can. The chamfer does look machined, but I can't say for sure I'm afraid. 

HTH, and good luck :)

Thanks for the reply and glad you agree with what I was thinking as to what's not too good. 

I think I will try and get genuine parts if possible.

Thanks for the good luck!