Damaged core plug hole

ejparrott

Had to change a core plug in my 200's head this weekend, rotted through.  Had a right game getting it out, and once removed found out why, hole wasn't in great shape, obviously damaged by a previous fitter.  Anyway, new one doesn't seem to have sealed properly.

As I understand it, they are 24mm plugs, and 25 are available.  Two options for eventual repair as I see it

1. Weld up the damage and remachine back to OE size

2. Bore it out to 25mm

So....is 1. even entertain able?  If so, and for 2., anyone know the interference fit size for the plug?

I've been doing a bit of looking around and it seems that reliably successfully welding a head isn't that easy.  Many notes about different alloys being used, getting the right filler rod, porosity etc.  Re machining to take a 25mm plug might be the most sensible option, which is something I'm equipped to tackle anyway.  There's a nice flat space under it where I could stamp it with '25mm plug' so I remember in 30 years time when I replace it again.