2A gearbox / new clutch maybe needed/ confusion.

skirky dave

Ok guys, this has me a little confused...again!!.

Last week the motor was running fine, as far as the gearbox is concerned...until this week.

If the engine is turned OFF, ...i can select any gear with no need to press the clutch pedal. or if i depress the pedal.....every things ok.'

Turn on the engine..... With the clutch depressed,..Can't get 1st / 2nd or reverse.    It will, however, drop into 3rd and 4th.

Set of in 3rd and quickly double de/clutch and i can get 2nd gear.

Once driving, ..i can then get 3rd 4th and overdrive and then back to 3rd and double de/clutch and get 2nd again.

To get reverse,..i have to stop the engine,....turn it off and the engage reverse, turn on the engine with the clutch depressed and then reverse.

....................................................................................................

Checked and refilled the clutch master cylinder and bled all the way to the slave cylinder,......still got the same problem.

I have come to the conclusion it must be the clutch, but could it be a sticking release bearing or something else.

NEXT QUESTION.....My last clutch was a Borg and Beck 9.5 inch as it's the 2A gearbox...part number  HK8914   Following a phone call with Borg and Beck direct 01869248484.

However...when i've looked at ebay suppliers of the clutch they state that this part number is for the 2.25 Petrol AND Diesel, but it doesn't state 9 inch or 9 1/2inch.

In my manual it states it must be the 9 1/2 inch clutch.

NEXT QUESTION.....Nearly all the clutch kits i can find are  AP Clutches, but i've heard some bad reviews concerning the quality of these units. Some only lasting a few months. Nearly as bad as the Blue Boxes with white writing.

All help in every direction with this, is most welcoming. This clutch problem has me scratching my head.

Many many thanks guys,

Dave.

By all accounts, Borg and Beck was sold off years ago to someone else and although the famous name remains,...... it now has  quality issues and isn't as good as it once was.

It seems to me that the clutch isn't disengaging, thus while the engine is spinning you can only select the gears with synchromesh.
You say 2A gearbox, I'm assuming a 2A clutch mechanism, situated on the RH side of the gearbox (viewed from the drivers seat).

It could be a sticking release bearing, but I suggest eliminating the 'something else' first.
Wear in the external linkage is not unusual, which will give you the lost motion that means the release bearing operating arm isn't being pushed far enough.
In the linkage after the slave cylinder, look for oval holes where there are clevis pins, and look for worn holes, or broken pins, where the coupling sleeve is joined to both halves of the shaft.
Don't forget the clevis pin / hole at the top of the pedal where it connects to the master cylinder push rod. If you have a pull-off spring attached to the pedal arm it tends to hide just how much play there is in this hole; remove the spring then pull the pedal towards, then push away from, the seat box to see how much free movement there is.

For the rest it might help if you can get someone to push the pedal while you examine the linkage.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

David Sparkes

Hi again,

Dave.....you little gem. I found the part you suggested. Took out all the flooring and gearbox tunnel to give me better access.

An old engineer who lives down the road supplied me with the cross pins.   What i found, quite shocked me,..

(1) The first pin closest to the clutch slave cylinder, ( Vertical pin ) had actually broken in two.

( 2 ) The ( Horizontal pin ) ...Next to the gearbox,.... Once removed,...was bent AND fractured.

Fitting the  VERTICAL pin, was made so much easier by using a telescopic magnet. I had been struggling to fit this pin, what with everything in the way, but the magnet proved to be brilliant..

So anyway Dave, thanks very much for the heads up on that one.. She drives fantastic now.

Cheers mate

Dave N,

• Like 1