Discovery Spider Bypass

Cappo

Hi all,

I've been reading the many threads all over the place on the infamous Spider and the problems it can cause.  I have a '96 V8 Disco 1 which is sadly suffering from the advanced stages of tin cancer, but my plan is for it's heart to live on in a Defender.  The Disco has a fully-working Spider and immobiliser fob but I don't want to take those over to the Defender.

Is the solution as simple as adding in the Spider bypass across the three sets of connections?  And if I do that, will the Disco still start and run until I take it apart?  I want to get as much sorted before the transplant so that I don't leave myself open to problems with that.

Just to confirm, if I put jumpers on pins 2-3, 4-8 and 6-10, that's the correct requirement?

EDIT:  I've just realised that the unit on mine is probably not original?  It's cylindrical in shape, part number YWJ500020, which seems to be a replacement unit (costing about £350!!) so I guess someone at some point has had problems with the original and fitted one of these?

Thanks chaps!

Edited by Cappo

I don't see what your issue is, as you won't be transferring the engines immobiliser or any other part of the disco's security over to the Defender.

All the immobiliser does is isolate the 12v  supply to the V8s ignition coil and starter motor.  I assume the starter 12v is  existing and functional in your Defender  so u only have to add the ignition switch, switched supply to the coil. Simples.

Edited by teabag

2 hours ago, teabag said:

I don't see what your issue is, as you won't be transferring the engines immobiliser or any other part of the disco's security over to the Defender.

All the immobiliser does is isolate the 12v  supply to the V8s ignition coil and starter motor.  I assume the starter 12v is  existing and functional in your Defender  so u only have to add the ignition switch, switched supply to the coil. Simples.

I don't know whether I'm making too much of the job, but in order to transfer the ECU and all the necessary sensors and relays, my intention was to take all of the front part of the loom from the Disco and move that all over, then once I get it running in the Defender I'll chop out the parts of the loom which I don't need.

I guess there may be a simpler way but this was the only route I could think of?  Hence wanting the immobiliser/alarm out of the equation, otherwise I'd need the pickup from the igntion switch, etc.