oil leak

peter deer

Hi

300 tdi /160 000 miles obviously developing a few leaks

One I would like to stop is coming from the air pump that activates the break depression bell

the leak is not at the pump/engine junction ,but in the head itself

this head seems to be riveted

is is possible to repair/seal ?

if not ,is this expensive ?

thanks for your advice and...Happy XMAS to you all

Peter

Hi

300 tdi /160 000 miles obviously developing a few leaks

One I would like to stop is coming from the air pump that activates the break depression bell

the leak is not at the pump/engine junction ,but in the head itself

this head seems to be riveted

is is possible to repair/seal ?

if not ,is this expensive ?

thanks for your advice and...Happy XMAS to you all

Peter

There are no internal parts available for this from LR, I know that, whether anybody recons them I don't know. Personally at that age I'd sling it and put a new one on, lucky its lasted (if the original which it may not be) as the 300Tdi vacuum pumps are not reknowned for a long and happy life!

Can't recall if the servo unit is the same on a Disco or not (I think maybe not) but the brake servo on 300Tdi Defenders is a regular failure, they crack around the bolt holes on the front of the servo can, we change loads of them at work, symptoms are a loss of brake vacuum, can be hardly noticeable except under emergency braking which is not a good time to find out... or the brakes can be as bad as if the engine was off.

There are no internal parts available for this from LR, I know that, whether anybody recons them I don't know. Personally at that age I'd sling it and put a new one on, lucky its lasted (if the original which it may not be) as the 300Tdi vacuum pumps are not reknowned for a long and happy life!

Can't recall if the servo unit is the same on a Disco or not (I think maybe not) but the brake servo on 300Tdi Defenders is a regular failure, they crack around the bolt holes on the front of the servo can, we change loads of them at work, symptoms are a loss of brake vacuum, can be hardly noticeable except under emergency braking which is not a good time to find out... or the brakes can be as bad as if the engine was off.

Many thanks for your reply ,it is good to know you are not the only one in that situation

You must be spot on ,there must be small cracks that let the oil seep

when these crack widen ,i'll loose the braking power

Ill be ordering a new pump tomorrow!!

many thanks again and ..Happy New Year

peter