Should the ACE pump / pulley rotate freely with drive belt removed?

egami

Hello all,

I'm investigating the source of some strange squealing noise on acceleration/deceleration. When I removed the drive belt to inspect the pumps/pulleys I noticed the ACE pump does not move freely at all - in fact it's quite hard to move it. Is this normal? I'm not sure if it's a hydraulic system or there should be a free spinning pump behind it?

Can anyone confirm if a functioning ACE pump /pulley should spin freely with the drive belt removed?

Thanks,
David

Those that I have ever come across have a free running pulley which when the ACE is switched on the clutch in the pump drive is activated and locks into the pulley which runs the pump. If your pump is engaged with the pulley without switching on ACE then it would suggest that the clutch is stuck which could well be the cause of the belt squeeling. Is there any sign on inspection of the belt of any wear due to it slipping?, if so then I would say that your pump clutch is siezed.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, Farmerfred said:

Those that I have ever come across have a free running pulley which when the ACE is switched on the clutch in the pump drive is activated and locks into the pulley which runs the pump. If your pump is engaged with the pulley without switching on ACE then it would suggest that the clutch is stuck which could well be the cause of the belt squeeling. Is there any sign on inspection of the belt of any wear due to it slipping?, if so then I would say that your pump clutch is siezed.

ACE pump doesnt have a clutch, its a hydraulic pump that is driven full time by the engine,

id suspect your thinking of the aircon pump

in response to @egami the pump should turn with some resistence as it is pumping hydraulic fluid through the system