Can I sorn through 40 year mot?

neilc

My land rover series is 38 years old, it's a few days over its mot due date , however I'm getting around to finishing the work and it should be ready by the end of the month ( I've booked it in and sorn it ).I have a question regarding a hypothetical scenario . I read that  if a car is now over 40 years old and hasn't had any modifications then it no longer requires an Mot . However this is a rolling year so for example mine that was made in 82 , won't require an Mot from 1/1/2022 . But my question is this , if an MOT runs out on ie 12/11/ 2021 can it be  sorn until the end of the year and then put it on the road without an Mot on 1/1/2022?

The Tax and MOT exemption I think starts 1st April not 1st Jan of that year,  so make that 1/4/2022 then  no reason for it to be any different from a vehicle that's taxed , where you continue to drive until it needs retaxing, you then simply tick the box when you apply if you do it online, or complete the form at PO counter to say its now in Historic Tax class and unmodified so Tax exempt.

I've just read this on the DVLA site

The 40-year rule rolls so that if your car was first registered on 1 September 1981, for instance, you won't need an MOT after September 1, 2021, and so on…

Annoyingly for me mine  was registered on 31/12/1982 !

Edited by neilc

So road tax and Mot don't match then as the road tax changes with financial year in April, so could be Tax payable but MOT exempt, bizarre that they dont match, as it has to be a VHI to be mot exempt.

As the road tax system changes with the financial year, from 1 April 2020 cars first registered before 1 January 1980 will be exempt from VED, while after 1 April 2021, cars registered prior to 1 January 1981 will be exempt. Owners need to apply for exemption before they can wave goodbye to paying road tax