2.25l Head Gasket question

Bep

Hi,

I'm doing my first head gasket job on a LR. I blew the head gasket in my IIa 88. Ordered replacement gasket set STC1567. Before I begin re-assembly I have a concern that the coolant passages in the block and head don't quite match the gasket. I am wondering if this is by-design and I can proceed, or if I have the wrong gasket. The engine is a very late 2.25l - head is marked HRC 1303 and block ERG 4940. The mismatch is at the coolant passages at the rear right of the engine. The gasket has quite small openings for 2 of the passages, and 1 passages is completely blocked by the gasket.

Does anyone know off hand if this is normal and by-design ( to perhaps restrict coolant flow to the back of the engine ?), or do I need to get a different head gasket ?

UPDATE: Engine serial# is  11H03511 -  2.25l from an early 1980's Defender 90.

Thankyou,

Bep

Edited by Bep
Adding information

I have just taken the head off my 1973 S3 2.25 petrol, looking at the gasket there are, as you say, two small holes and one port blocked off, however, whilst my small holes are on the right hand side they are at the front (rad end) of the engine.

i have just had another look at my head and gasket and wonder if you, or me, may have the gasket up the wrong way. 😂

Quite possibly, I'm going by how the old gasket was positioned, but I can't be sure it was installed correctly. The old gasket I removed also had one port blocked off and the adjacent ports are smaller that the rest to the rear of the block. But the blocked coolant ports seemed strange to me - so thought I better ask for some help. 

Bep

21 hours ago, German Shepherd said:

I have just taken the head off my 1973 S3 2.25 petrol, looking at the gasket there are, as you say, two small holes and one port blocked off, however, whilst my small holes are on the right hand side they are at the front (rad end) of the engine.

i have just had another look at my head and gasket and wonder if you, or me, may have the gasket up the wrong way. 😂

That is correct, there is more water flow round the cylinders and head nearest the water pump, so the ports are restricted/smaller (at the front), with the bigger holes furthest from the water pump.

Perfect, thanks simonb !.

Seems the old gasket was on upside down with the smaller coolant passage holes at the back instead of the front. 

Thanks so much for the help.