Slighty OT - 2wd LT77 noise in reverse

Quagmire

Hi guys, 

Thought i'd post here as not only is the LT77 something us LR owners are familiar with, but I know a lot of you don't own just LR products and are also into other BL derived things too. 

I have a Rover 3500s, and the original 4 speed has recently come to the end of its life, i thought i would take the opportunity to fit a 5 speed from an SD1. I've had this LT77 sat on the floor of the garage for a few years now, and when I bought it I thought I had checked all gears selected but obviously not...😡

Last night I setup the shifter mechanism properly, which meant that reverse is now easier to select. On turning the box I get a graunchy/rattling noise when in reverse, sounds almost like two gears contacting each other or something. 

All other gears sound smooth and engage perfectly fine. 

if i've done this right there should a link below to a (bad) video I took last night:

LT77 reverse noise

Any ideas on what it might be would be appreciated! My next step is to clear out the garage, build a workbench to get the thing on and have a look inside. Thats going to take a while though, so any suggestions people have would at least give me a path to go down when I get to that point.

Cheers

Selector fork loose on its shaft, worn/broken fork, detent problem, broken gear tooth.

Can you make the noise go away by pulling/pushing the gear lever beyond where it normally detents?

If setting it up properly gives the noise, it sounds like it has been maladjusted in the past to hide the problem.