td5 turbo snags

AJL

Anyone had turbo problems on td5s?

mines whistling like a whistly squeely thing and on recent close inspection of the impeller shaft theres loads of play

not too good after only 44k miles and two manifold gaskets!

mine is chipped and intercooled but it should last longer than that surely shouldnt it?

what are my options? rebuild/refurb new standard garrat/lr turbo or go bigger ???

any advise greadfully taken

Are you sure it's the turbo? We had one at work like that and it sounded terrible but it turned out the last person who looked at it hadn't seated one corner of the air filter box in properly and it was air whistling in through the hole.

Also seen one where the intercooler had fractured producing a similar effect.

There always is noticeable play in turbos, Tdi ones anyway, can't say I have ever shoved my finger up a Td5 one.

mine went at about 60k but only because the oil feed passage was blocked and it had no lubrication, it still drove OK though despite being locked solid (considering) and did 30mpg over a 300mile trip which it went on! i got a replacement one from AR Turbo Eng, 01924 477747, arrived next day with £10 delivery and return collection, best part of £400 though!

mine went at about 60k but only because the oil feed passage was blocked and it had no lubrication, it still drove OK though despite being locked solid (considering) and did 30mpg over a 300mile trip which it went on! i got a replacement one from AR Turbo Eng, 01924 477747, arrived next day with £10 delivery and return collection, best part of £400 though!

Thanks for the replys I think i'm going to chance one for £125 off Eblag and see how that goes