55 plate Freelander blowing lots of excess smoke

Janey

Hi I have a freelander 55 plate 06 registered tdi engine. I've had a mechanic put a diagnostic on it and nothing has come up but it's blowing a lot of smoke out of the exhaust he's not sure what to suggest other than stripping the whole engine down it was very low on oil but have since put correct amount in but it seems to have run low again and there's no obvious leak anywhere wondered if anybody else has had something similar as it seems to be running fine ??? Thanks 

Depends what sort of smoke. "Mechanic" should be able to diagnose no problem. I cant imagine for a minute the whole engine needs stripping.

Will be either the turbocharger seals have blown caused by excessive crankcase pressure. Lots of grey smoke when engine revved. Engine breather usually the cause.

Or

Injector/s faulty. Can be sussed by live readings on a scanner by competent person. Smokes more at idle and stings your eyes a bit

Neither will throw up a "code"

Other common problem is split intercooler hoses, but this normally does throw up a code, and also can be heard.

Another possibility. The PCV valve has blocked and the increased crank case pressure is causing oil to be being dumped through the smaller PCV pipe (under the air filter) and through the turbo.

See how full the intercooler is.

oil_from_pcv.jpg.99683f0d124bca53a73bb25880e8b083.jpg