LT230 input gear pre load

Hi, 

first time I’ve undertaken this job.

200tdi 90 with LT77 and LT230 22D308814E

just got a recon lt77 from Ashcrofts and decided to do the input gear on the trans with the cross drilled version.

stuck on pre loading as I’ve no idea what it should feel like when done.

the shim fitted was 3.38 but with new bearings I could not move the input gear at all. I removed (got a shim kit from ashcrofts), put 2.85 in and used dti which said 1.5mm. I’m supposed to add shim plus end float and deduct 0.05 which gave me roughy 3.00. So I fitted 3 and can freely spin the input with no resistance to the extent it registered nothing on the spring Gauge at all. So I’ve upped the shims to 3.16. No end float detectable and getting approx 5lb resistance on the spring gauge but I can still quite easily turn the input gear by hand. Does this sound right? Sorry but I’m going crazy with it.

I think lo-fi is right. A lot of people wont bother checking so you have done more than many! Remove the play but just as far as it spins easily.... 

Edited by reb78
  • Thanks 1