detachable tow bar

gsr341

hello

my bobtailed 90 is nearing completion (eventally) and i need to fit a tow bar to her , as im about to start renovating a house so need to be able to do trips to the skips (oh joy :rolleyes: )

i was hoping some one has the sothdown detachable pack fitted as im after some dimensions

i was going to use either 10mm or 12mm plated to be permantly fitteed to the rear of the landy , and 8mm or 10mm for the removable plate , and have bought some 3/4" tow pins from a local farmers supplys

do you think these thickness of steel would be sutable

any pics of any one elses set ups would be appreciated

regards

Dafydd

So are you doing this in alloy, steel or military grade carbon fibre?

Got an idea - how about make your own design (check its not patented), then make 20 of them and sell them to others with a 100% mark up price :D - if they sell quick - make a 100 then once they are sold pay someone else to do your house up :)

Oh poo does that sound like someone else's idea ? Heavens forbid someone ripping off you own idea - hmm I'm thinking ex break, here.

BTW Have had my Southdown rear tank guard on my 90 for ages - its a great idea, glad to support British Inovation.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Light fuse, and retire quickly to a safe distance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Peter

thanks for the reply Peter (even though it sound like a dig :( )

i would happly part with my cash and buy southdowns solution , but as i said my 90 is bobed and as such soth downs detachable tow pack will Not fit on my truck , was considering buying the detachable part off south down , but needed to know its dimensions see if its sutable

any one else got any ideas ?

thanks for the reply Peter (even though it sound like a dig :( )

i would happly part with my cash and buy southdowns solution , but as i said my 90 is bobed and as such soth downs detachable tow pack will Not fit on my truck , was considering buying the detachable part off south down , but needed to know its dimensions see if its sutable

any one else got any ideas ?

i made my own based on the southdown one (had one on my disco but as you point out it don't fit hybrids) for the tomcat i used a drop plate then welded two bits of 10mmx50mm flat plate to form a triangle on each side the top bits drilled to take the pins. then fitted a tube between the pin holes to stiffen it all up. on the truck had a bit of 6mm plate bolted to the underside of rear and axle crossmembers with two bits of 10mmx50mm welded to fit over the outside of removable bit with predrilled (but slightly offset to allow clearance for welds) holes all welds done both sides. i've towed at least 2 ton with this set up with no probs

mike

P.S if you would like some pics pm me