Disabling Airco & Dodgey Starting.

I was wondering if there were likely to be any negative consequences in removing the belt driving the airco compressor during the cold months when not being used. It seems pretty pointmess whizzing around for no reason for 6 months of the year!

Also I had a slight glitch with the 110 today when it wouldn't start. Turns out to be a loose wire on the back of the starter motor which has to be puyshed back onto the terminal. Due to to poor access this has to be done by 'feel'. Is this a common problem with 110s? I have been told that this wire is frequently too short and pops off for a passtime altohugh its the first time its done it in the past 30,000kms.

Removing the aircon pump belt shouldn't cause any problem, except that the system will be dormant & not have the refridgerant pumped around to lubricate the system, I'd leave the belt on & occasionally switch the system on just to keep it in good working order.

you should be able to tighten the terminal with pliers to squeeze it & give a better connection, not had any probs with my starter motor/wiring. in fact it's never been touched since the Tdi was fitted.

Thanks Ralph. I managed to get the wire back on (its a white with a red stripe) but its a real fiddle and not very accessible. The only way is to squeeze your arm between the chassis rail and the exhaust from underneath so definately one for when the engine's cold! I might have a go at squeezing the connector but again, its so hard to get any tool in there and actually see what you are doing.

I find it useful to switch the aircon on to demist the screen as this clears it much faster than just the blower. It does keep the system running properly, although you can tell when it is switched on as the compressor cutting in has a noticeable effect on tickover speed. I had considered taking the belt off in winter but the demist function is too useful.