2000 plate 110 defender Td5 Non start

Hi Guys, I need some advice before I pull what’s left of my hair out. Customer of mine has a W plate 110 td5, been running fine and then all of a sudden won’t start. Has full ignition lights, turn key and nothing. Did relevant testing and found the starter relay in the Centre has lost its earth, strange. Put temp wire from battery and it turns and starts but then 5 seconds after it cuts out. Try to start again and it just turns over but won’t fire. Leave a minute and it starts but cuts out again after 5 seconds. You can hear the fuel pump priming etc. help...

I had some strange earth issues on my 99MY Td5 - where the earths showed continuity but broke down under load. That turned out to be a partially melted earth header in the dash ... picture below of one of the non earth headers that’s in the same place.

May be worth checking ?

post-20-128154905692.thumb.jpg.f77ea7db05a4bfd04c50d5412aca2be1.jpg

also check your fuse box under the seat, the brown 12V + feed wire sometimes breaks off inside its insulation and gives intermittent results.

check all your relays, TD5's love corroding the relays and causing problems