RR stub axle into series swivel housing?

o_teunico

Hi all, 

Been some months without visiting the forum.

Due to limited budget I'm selling some parts of my 88 project. Cost of parts not a problem, but obtaining an engineer's approval here in Spain for beeing road legal is over three times what I paid for the landy!

Big modifications, like coiler axles, engine swap, big tyres are now out of the list for me.

My "wide" axles  will be just big offset wheels (that is about 150€ for the engineer's report + 70€ at MoT station for the new track width beeing written in our V5 equivalent).

So, how can I (cheaply) convert my Santana (factory disc brake) to CV?

After some searching at this forum I undestand that converting railkos to bearings and some grinding will make space for AEU2522 CVs.

But, what about stub axles?

I dont want complete coiler swivels, since I have a Santana PAS that will only work with series swivels.

Gremlin said that early RR stubs fit series swivels, done before in this forum. Who? How? Part numbers? Difference between early RR and later coiler parts?

TIA

Edited by o_teunico

14 hours ago, o_teunico said:

Hi all, 

Been some months without visiting the forum.

Due to limited budget I'm selling some parts of my 88 project. Cost of parts not a problem, but obtaining an engineer's approval here in Spain for beeing road legal is over three times what I paid for the landy!

Big modifications, like coiler axles, engine swap, big tyres are now out of the list for me.

My "wide" axles  will be just big offset wheels (that is about 150€ for the engineer's report + 70€ at MoT station for the new track width beeing written in our V5 equivalent).

So, how can I (cheaply) convert my Santana (factory disc brake) to CV?

After some searching at this forum I undestand that converting railkos to bearings and some grinding will make space for AEU2522 CVs.

But, what about stub axles?

I dont want complete coiler swivels, since I have a Santana PAS that will only work with series swivels.

Gremlin said that early RR stubs fit series swivels, done before in this forum. Who? How? Part numbers? Difference between early RR and later coiler parts?

TIA

To use AEU2522 CVs you are better using the early Defender stub axle as long as you have the metric series hubs. To use the RRC stub axles you need to machine the seal landing off the shaft. With the Defender stubs you don’t.

I’ve just done it on mine but you need to have the swivel housing machined slightly to open up the aperture to fit the stub axle or, have the stub axle turned down to fit inside the swivel housing. I chose the first option as that allows the CV to be removed through the swivel but you could also dismantle the swivel to get to it that way.

You will also need 24 spline drive members and 10/23 spline halfshafts. DDE supply them or have Defender ones shortened.

Take a look at my thread here

• Like 1