200tdi rear brake lights.

Hey lads. Strange question. I have be replacing the brake lights on the back of my 200tdi defender and the wiring I inherited is a bit all over the place so I cleaned up what I knew I could and left the rest. All working except brake light. The driver's side  works perfect with no driving lights on. And the far side doesn't work at all. And when I turn on the head lights they light up fully and there's no way of telling when I press on the brake. Thanks . Btw there the old style bearmach replacements 

Ok difficult to know what you mean by lighting up fully without seeing it. Do you mean full brightness ie brake light? If that is the case you probably have the side light and brake light wires the wrong way round. If the 200tdi is the same as the 300tdi, the main feeds come in to the right hand side rear corner l and loop across from there to the left hand side.. check the cable to the left hand side is connected to the bullet connection in the right hand side.

It sounds like you have the working light fitted reversed, so the brake light is illuminating instead of the tail light.  That can happen if you have the wiring the wrong way, or correct wiring with the bulb I steered 180 degrees out.

That much current may be stopping the other one working if you have a bad earth.