Centre diff lock

sotal

We've got a couple of discoveries that we use to pull trailers round the fields. One is a 200tdi, the other is a 1999 td5.

The 200tdi is far better at pulling up muddy slopes than the td5. The td5 has to be revved harder and spins around before the electronic systems will kick in. As the paths are sometimes narrow, the sliding about causes it to get close to hitting the fence posts.

The 200tdi, you just engage did lock and drive off.

We've always blamed it on the electronics and lack of CDL. I've just been reading about it and realised it should have the internals and a lever mechanism from a disco 1 should fit it and provide CDL. 

I'd like to prove if it makes a difference first. Am I right in thinking that if we turn the shaft with the two flats on (above front prop) 90 degrees anti clockwise, that it should engage it and allow us to test it out first? I'd it easy enough to turn? Is it just a case of turning it with a pair of mole grips? Is it easy enough to get to?

Yes if it has the spigot on the transfer box then the internals should be there. I forget now which vehicles had the CDL fitted and which did not. I don't think the lever from a D1 will fit straight on though - I seem to recall that the mechanism is cable-operated in the D2, but there is a kit available to fit it:

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/miscellaneous/disco-ii-difflock.html

One kit is just to add the lever to a t/box that already has difflock, the other is to mod the t/box as well.

The non CDL Discovery 2 is rubbish in those sort of conditions and if it's operating continuously, after a while the ABS system overheats and it all shuts down anyway....

Couple of useful videos on the Ashcroft site too, one showing the difference with and without!