Discovery 3 suspension fault

sotal

I've seen a discovery 3 for sale. It comes with a full mot but it says it has a suspension warning light on and when you got a bump the suspension drops down. The seller says it just needs a sensor replacing.

Is this a common fault? Is it easy to fix? I used to have a p38 and that was a pain with leaky bags etc. 

Any thoughts on whether I should pursue this one or walk away?

Thanks

Edited by sotal

You need to describe the problem in a little more detail than "when you got a bump the suspension drops down".

Are you going to fix it yourself, or pay someone? Suspension faults are very common on D3/4, most aren't too difficult to fix, but it can end up expensive.

If the seller knows it's a sensor, why hasn't it been changed already? Most are cheapish and easy to change.

There's no such thing as a cheap D3. Pick a suitably expensive culprit (e.g. Compressor £500), drop your offer by an amount to cover parts and labour, and only then if you're certain there's no other nasties lurking that you don't know about.

Thanks,

That was as much info as I could get from the seller regarding hitting a bump and it dropping.

It was/is a 2008 diesel HSE. Priced at £3800 which seems reasonable. 

However although it has a full years MOT, it had quite a few advisories including one for corrosion.

Looking back through the history it has failed a fair few MOTs, some in quite substantial items including one year where it failed the emissions and had an engine warning light on.

It didn't seem to be the most cared for mechanically and unsurprisingly three service history had been lost.

I'm going to give this one a miss.