Freelander 1 2.0 tdi hse 2004 reg 151000 miles intermittently cuts out whilst driving

paul0651

Hi everyone i have a Freelander 1 2.0 tdi hse 2004 reg 151000 miles on clock and the car drives ok for weeks on end then it will just cut out whilst driving.some times it will restart and some it turns over until the battery goes flat. my local garage thought it may be the low pressure fuel pump (the one behind the off side rear wheel ) so i had it and the fuel filter replaced.but it still does the same thing, can anyone think of what may be the problem. many thanks in advance. best wishes to you Paul.

4 minutes ago, pat_pending said:

Any fault codes?

Crank position sensor is a possibility.

You really need a garage that can diagnose the fault, not just guess.

No stop solenoid on an 04 diesel freebie.

That figures! Sudden stops are usually electrical, so if the engine needs a crank position sensor, then it is in the frame. (I'm a 200Tdi Defender owner; far too newfangled for me; my wife's 106 Rallye petrol had a crank position sensor fail, symptoms were poor starting and the odd, random stop).