Defender TD5 Battery Box Tidy

So I have a lovely rats nest of mess in my battery box and as part of my battery upgrade I’m thinking a good time to improve!

I have a lot of connections straight into the battery. I’m keen to simplify this down to one and then run all the connections off a bus bar. I’ve read that when doing that I should have a fuse running inbetween. The question is what fuse rating / type do I need to use as all the electrics including the starter motor will run off that. I’m upgrading to Odyssey PC2150 so cranking output is very high.

Any other advice or best practice examples you all have the better. I want it to be as neat / safe / easy to manage as possible especially with fitting such an expensive new battery! I’m also not sure how to manage the connection from the alternator? I assume they may need to directly connect to battery? Alternatives to my idea above I’m also open to just want things simple and from reading up I felt that it’s maybe the best option! (Not that I should trust Google that much!!)

Edited by Mediamab
Missed a detail

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Assuming that you’re installing this near your battery, there’s no need to run a fuse. Especially if you plan to connect the starter off it.

Ah ok - would that be safe to do so? What sort of guage wire would I need? It would be near the best so a short wire. What sort of ampage would I need bud bar to support? I assume it would need to match the power to starter motor?

Edited by Mediamab

50mm2 at a minimum

You can use something like this… 

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/power-jointing-box-120a-2-way.html

Just place the starter cable on the same pole as the battery feed.

Yes of course it’s safe to do so, as long as you have all your devices fused you do not need to fuse the distribution box like the one suggested above

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

50mm2 at a minimum

You can use something like this… 

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/power-jointing-box-120a-2-way.html

Just place the starter cable on the same pole as the battery feed.

Yes of course it’s safe to do so, as long as you have all your devices fused you do not need to fuse the distribution box like the one suggested above

Brilliant - thanks so much!!! Just getting my head around all the electrics!!

Slight side question - I have front and rear lights that are both controlled by relays but I’d like there to be two methods to turn the lights on and only want them to be off when both aren’t sending a signal. Can I simply connect two wires to the signal input or is that not the way to do it?