Noise briefly after oil change on TDV6

reb78

Just after some reassurance... 

Did an oil and filter change on the TDV6 today as part of a big service. I filled with 5.3l of oil and started up and let it idle. As expected, the oil light took a little longer to go out but just before it did I noticed a 'clacking' noise. It stopped as the light went out and probably lasted 4 seconds, perhaps less 

Does this initial period of running (presumably as the filter fills?) do any damage? Have others noticed a similar noise? Is there anything to be done to prevent this (could turn over on the crank I suppose?). Its not like we can prefill the filters on these like we could with traditional oil filters. 

(I had done a fuel filter change as well but I would have thought air in the system would have made noise from startup)

Assuming you put the little nipple on the oil filter into its hole in the housing before you put the external cannister over the top of the filter then what you describe is all normal. 

I assume it starts all fine now so all is good.

Thanks Gary - yes, all good. I put the filter in before the canister to avoid misaligning that nipple.

The noise stopped quicker than I could have turned the engine off so it was only brief. It sounded like loud tappets, or perhaps even an injector with air in it. Maybe the hydraulic lifters perhaps?

It idled fine after that. I haven't restarted it since as it was dinner time and I was cold so came in!! I left the car in the dry so I can change the front air suspension valve block when I go out next, then will start it up and have another listen. Once thats done, thats a long list of jobs complete (Rear brakes complete overhaul and bleed, full service, air suspension and just the front brakes to do).

The noise is typical low oil pressure that any engine will make - remember that once you start the oil filter has to fill so that oil is not getting any components until it is full.  However the coating of oil on components is enough to sustain it until pressure is gained - be worried if the rattle continued on for a while.

Likewise the noise is to be expected when you do an oil filter change but after that you should not hear that rattle again until the next oil change - if you do then get worried.  You said it was cold, so the oil will be thick so may take a little while longer to get pressure after an oil filter change.

Edited by garrycol