Alternator bodge for MOT

Hi

Trying desperately to get all my electrics working so I can get my MOT, at the mo the alternator is not charging the battery, more than likely there is a fault somewhere in the wiring, question is can I run a suitably thick wire directly from the back of the alternator to the battery? rather than spend time trying to find the wiring problem, I can do that when its back on the road! Secondly whats the component bolted to the inner wing near the brake servo with 2 big thick brown wires going into it? I may have killed when i mistook it for an earth and earthed it, cue lots of smoke and a melted wire, put back to normal now... Is this anything to do with the charging system?

On the plus side i just have to fix my drivers doorlock then and its MOT time... after 15 months of chassis swap :)

Mike

Secondly whats the component bolted to the inner wing near the brake servo with 2 big thick brown wires going into it? I may have killed when i mistook it for an earth and earthed it, cue lots of smoke and a melted wire, put back to normal now... Is this anything to do with the charging system?

sounds like a split charge relay,

is it in the drivers side rear corner of the engine bay between the wing top panel & brake servo? if yes see the line above :D

sounds like a split charge relay,

is it in the drivers side rear corner of the engine bay between the wing top panel & brake servo? if yes see the line above :D

yep its fixed to the outside side of the bracket holding the inner wing to the wing top, its quite well hidden, you can only really feel 2 wires and a bolt.... hence me mistaking it for an earth :ph34r:

Its ex police so i guess split charge relay is likely! If my alts now not charging then have i cooked it? and could this be the explanation for why i have as yet failed to make a split charge system work on my car? Thirdly, as i now have an 'X charge' can i just remove the factory split charge? if so how?

The closer i get to an MOT the more little jobs i find :angry:

Ta

Mike