Open/closed length of p38 shocks?

I know the front one are about 2" longer, I can take measurements tomorrow.

I've run Terrafirma on my previous P38 and have several customers using them, all very happy with them so I've put them on my new build as well. There doesn't seem to be many alternatives around, I've had the Bilsteins but those are much to stiff and I found them far worse than original on poor roads.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I know the front one are about 2" longer, I can take measurements tomorrow.

I've run Terrafirma on my previous P38 and have several customers using them, all very happy with them so I've put them on my new build as well. There doesn't seem to be many alternatives around, I've had the Bilsteins but those are much to stiff and I found them far worse than original on poor roads.

Thanks. Appreciate it. 

I’ve got the +2” Terrafirma’s on now. But the rears seem to have started making a noise. They are under 2 years old and not done many miles. The fronts are newer, but they don’t ride as well as the stock shocks I took off. I wouldn’t say they are bad or anything. Just wondered if a shock for something else might happen to be the correct lengths. As they are eye on the top and pin ok the bottom like the rear shocks of a Defender/D1. 

Somewhere, I was sure I once saw a part number reference that suggested a P38 rear shock was identical to a 110 Defender - which suited me as I have both - but then I’ve never been able to find it again. 🤨

I recently redid all the suspension on my P38 (bags and sensors, and including new shocks). I just fitted Britpart ones. The car is a whole lot better than it was before on twisty B & C roads, but still wallows a bit too much for my taste. 

30 minutes ago, Northwards said:

Somewhere, I was sure I once saw a part number reference that suggested a P38 rear shock was identical to a 110 Defender - which suited me as I have both - but then I’ve never been able to find it again. 🤨

I recently redid all the suspension on my P38 (bags and sensors, and including new shocks). I just fitted Britpart ones. The car is a whole lot better than it was before on twisty B & C roads, but still wallows a bit too much for my taste. 

Thanks. Mine is on coils these days, so I can make use of longer shocks off road. Wallows less than the air. 

I did like the air. But I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. And coils were a lot cheaper. However I think the wallow is the way the airbags work. They have an initial softness before they stiffen up. When you turn you get that instant lean/wallow with the airbags. 

Shame they never put ACE on the p38. 

I was going to mention the EAS can be pretty picky on shocks, so it's important to get shocks with valving suitable for a P38. But if on coils, all bets are off and you'll have to find what works for yourself I fear. I will have a look at the lengths when I get to the Shop later today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Escape said:

As promised: front 34cm min, 53.5cm max, rear 31cm min, 48.5cm max. Measured from the cup at the bottom of the shock body to the center of the top mounting hole.

Looking about it would seem a standard length rear Defender shock is:

Shock Length open :- 560mm
Shock Length closed :- 346mm

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/old-man-emu-standard-length-rear-eye-pin-shock-single-gl2003/

And a +2" Defender rear is:

Shock Length open :- 593mm
Shock Length closed :- 349mm

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/old-man-emu-plus-2-rear-eye-pin-shock-single-gl2004/

Think the hole in the bush would be too big and a different bush would be needed though. But potential scope maybe.