Output shaft housing on Series 2A removal

monkey welder

Hi all - I've managed to jam the 4wd selector shaft into the output shaft housing (trying to free it from corrosion, made it worse...) so i need to know this: is it possible to separate the housing from the transfer box so i can get inside it to free off the stuck shaft? I have the gearbox out but all the info i can see seems to suggest that the whole gearbox has to be split apart to access this one bit. There's no way i could tackle a gearbox rebuild, it's too complex for me. Please someone, tell me i can gain access to the interior of the output shaft housing with just some basic work. I'm terrified of trying to seperate it apart then watching a load of gears, etc drop to the floor as it seperates! Thanks, Phil.

As I remember it, you’ll need to remove the lower of the top covers from the transfer box to remove the high/low selector fork pinch bolt.  After that, you can undo all the nuts holding the 4wd housing to the front of the transfer box and separate them.  

The selector roads do corrode and the casing suffered electrolytic corrosion with the steel, so this sort of binding is not that unusual.  You might need quite a bit of force, and it’d be useful to try to scrape as much rust off the high/low selector rod inside the transfer box as you can to allow it to pass through is casing hole more easily before you separate the casings.

Once you have completed the job, make sur etc grease everything up and ensure that the steel shaft ends cover above the front output is clean inside and out and is sealed in place with Hylomar, silicone or other suitable water proof medium, and make sure to periodically excel use the vehicle in all selectable transmission combinations.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

As I remember it, you’ll need to remove the lower of the top covers from the transfer box to remove the high/low selector fork pinch bolt.  After that, you can undo all the nuts holding the 4wd housing to the front of the transfer box and separate them.  

The selector roads do corrode and the casing suffered electrolytic corrosion with the steel, so this sort of binding is not that unusual.  You might need quite a bit of force, and it’d be useful to try to scrape as much rust off the high/low selector rod inside the transfer box as you can to allow it to pass through is casing hole more easily before you separate the casings.

Once you have completed the job, make sur etc grease everything up and ensure that the steel shaft ends cover above the front output is clean inside and out and is sealed in place with Hylomar, silicone or other suitable water proof medium, and make sure to periodically excel use the vehicle in all selectable transmission combinations.

That's very useful info and it gives me some confidence to start having a go at seperating it off.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone with the same problem viewing this thread, i can confirm that once the pinch bolt is released through the inspection cover, the output shaft can be removed relatively easily.  I had the gearbox bellhousing pointing upwards so that nothing would fall out to the floor when lifting up the cover.  One new £32 selector shaft later all is working well.

• Like 1