Freelander Lifts

garrycol

Does anyone have a Freelander with a lift. I would like to discuss options - I am in Canberra - Australia.

The max spring/spacer lift is 2" (because of the short front driveshafts) and I have not found any body lifts (like the 2" body lift on a subaru).

My investigations have thrown up 4 options.

1. DAP type steel spacers on top of the suspension towers gives a full 2" but the cost is about $390 US plus postage etc. ($600AUD)

2. A 38mm plastic spacer system from the US is $300AUD landed in Australia but doesn't give the full 2" but is easier to install and no changes to brake lines are needed.

3. Bigger springs - Kings Springs (Aust) makes 35mm longer springs that sag to 30mm springs ($340AUD) - I would like a bit bigger lift but new shockies are not needed. Ironman (Aust) also make springs but I cannot find any details on these.

4.A guy in the UK has sent me some cad drawings of a system that replaces the suspension towers bolts with much longer ones and and you use nuts on the bolts to provide the lift - I know it works but I think registration and other authorities might have problems with this so I am not going this route.

I have recently put 225/70 R16 BFG ATs on and this gives me about an inch but I want to finish the job - clearance under a standard freelander is 195mm under the engine which is effectively reduced because of the front independent suspension - with both front wheels depressed clearance is zip.

So if anyone has done a lift I would like to hear about any issues you have uncovered.

Thanks

Gazzz

• 4 weeks later...