Mud shield behind crank pulley

I'm sure this is not the right name for it, but I am talking about the round shield behind the crank pulley. I have noticed on my 300Tdi engine that this is spinning around with the revolutions of the crank. Is this supposed to turn? If not how do I stop it, I have tried already by knocking it back towards the engine casing and I can't get it to hold. I am either doing someting wrong i.e not leaving it alone or somethings broken.

There are no oil leaks the only thing that brought this to my attention is a slight jingling sound as it goes around, I had a similar noise when the mud shield had loosend on the from drive shaft to gearbox uj.

thanks Richard

I'd assume it is supposed to be a press fit onto the pulley acting as a guard for the timing case seal. When is your next cam belt change due? That would be the simplest time to fix it when you have to pull the pulley off (which is usualy very tight) anyway.

I'd assume it is supposed to be a press fit onto the pulley acting as a guard for the timing case seal. When is your next cam belt change due? That would be the simplest time to fix it when you have to pull the pulley off (which is usualy very tight) anyway.

Yeah, I would agree but it had the cam belt changed 10k ago, I think when it's in for an MOT I will get LandRanger Middlewich to take a look.

Thanks