Range Rover L322 Rear Propshaft Replacement

Ed Poore

@steve200TDi requested I took some photos of this but due to circumstances I didn't. But as it's still fresh in my mind I'll document it and if I get a chance I'll take some photos to update the thread.

So basically this happened

IMG_20221228_112914_714.thumb.jpg.b0ccc2e439e5170b228fbd0761b70ded.jpg

Hmm I think that should be attached to this...

IMG_20221228_113905_552.thumb.jpg.65e3171ed8a4a5a2aed91597871cd3b2.jpg

Ah there are some of the missing bits

IMG_20221228_113853_222.thumb.jpg.3e83cccdd21ca3ccbb24a82f1d75947d.jpg

Which resulted in a Range Rover, 14ft car trailer and Argocat stuck in a ditch blocking access onto the hill.

IMG_20221227_103228_191.thumb.jpg.5368c1610761f625de71dd8cfe41ea79.jpg

Thankfully we were able to unfreeze the neighbours tractor's door and get it started. He trundled off around the farm to approach from a different direction and succeeded in pulling it all out despite the sheets of ice. We got it back to our place and diagnosed the snapped propshaft. So with some tools, a trolley jack and the rubber boot mat to lie on the snow on ice fixing it started.

The tools required

• E12 socket for propshaft bolts
  • 13mm socket for centre bearing support
  • 10mm socket for front heatshield bolts
  • 8mm socket for rear heatshield screws
  • Possibly: BFH (hammer), sharp cold chisel
  • Extensions / ratchets as required

This is on a 2011 4.4TDV8 Range Rover but I think the procedure is the same for most including Discos and Sports.

I'm going to leave it up to people as to how they want to support the vehicle as doing this on sheet ice with minimal tools is probably not how most people will attempt it but you ideally want to be able to jack up a rear wheel and maintain access to the front.

So first step is to remove the "intermediate" heatshield. This is just behind the transfer box and is held in with a number of 10mm nuts fixed to large washers. There are two up under the floor quite high up and a number down each size of the vehicle.

Once that is removed I found you also needed to remove the self tappers holding in the heatshield above the exhaust where it goes between the fuel tank. This allows you to slide it forwards to gain access to the rear diff pinion.

Note you can get away without removing the exhaust as I did but its probably a bit easier if you do.

Now looking backwards from the transfer box end you'll see two 13mm nuts that hold up the centre support bearing bracket. These need to come off.

There are 6 E12 headed bolts per flange at either end. These are done up quite tight. With the tools I had available I was able to undo these with a 3/8 ratchet and a spanner on the end of it. In my case the prop has snapped in half so I only had to worry about half at a time.

To put the gearbox in neutral there is a red lever in the centre console you can pull vertical. Remove the cup holders next to the gear knob then using a screwdriver prise up the panel in the middle. You'll see the red lever to pull. To let the rear diff flange spin for access you need the handbrake off and one wheel off the ground but you'll need to block it or lower it when you want to undo / tighten the bolts.

Once you've removed the two intermediate nuts and all 12 flange bolts you need to separate the prop from the transfer box and diff flanges. If you're lucky they'll fall off, in my case I had to use a sharp cold chisel and big lump hammer to knock it away from the flange.

You should be able to wiggle the prop out forwards without having to remove anything else.

Refit is the reverse of removal as they say. I did the intermediate support first, this was easiest with a 13mm socket on my Milwaukee M12 long reach ratchet (yeah minimal tools but I had that). If you've got bigger hands you might need to wiggle the rear heatshield as far back as you can. Only difficulty with my refit procedure was having stacked it spectacularly on the ice in the morning I haven't been very mobile due to a very painful knee.

Disappointing to see things are un-greasable on this prop both due to design and in normal conditions inaccessible. This one I think is original since I've got a lot of history and there's no mention of it. It's done 146k and the last 20k ish of that has usually been towing heavy loads under my ownership.

I will try and get some photos when I'm back at home to update the thread.

Oh and a genuine prop from LR is definitely a don't ask how much kind of question. Unfortunately there were not many options between Christmas and Hogmany in the Highlands.

• Like 3