Rialko Bush Lubrication Addition Series lll Swivels

Cchase

I realize that this is old hat to many of you, but I am a visual learner; I learn better from seeing something than from reading about it.

As I rebuild the front axles on The Tramp I investigated how the Railko bush at the top of the swivel gets oil.

Perhaps I am overthinking the issue, but relying on oil splashing upwards through a small hole seems to be a bit of a stretch.

The Tramp also has locking hubs so I want to make sure that I know that the bushing is getting lubrication. Some people use grease/zerk fittings.

While watching one of Steamwally's excellent You Tube videos, he talked about using an oil cup cap to keep the bush wet. I was able to find the fittings on amazon and a local machine shop drilled and threaded an M10 hole with a 3/32 extension to a depth of 42mm from the top of the pin and then a lateral exit to the side.

Here are some photos to illustrate what was done.

Cheers,

C

20230116_154205.jpg

20230116_155531.jpg

20230118_164105.jpg

20230118_164122.jpg

20230118_164158.jpg

20230118_170657.jpg

20230118_170704.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I did away with the railco bushes and replaced them with tapered bearings (like a Defender). The swivel grease just doesn't lubricate the bushes - as you know). 

Image0865.jpg

The series lower taper roller bearings drop straight in to the railco hole and don't need greasing more than the swivel grease does. You need to turn the trunnions down to 19mm to fit the bearings and then shim like normal. My steering is spot on now.

Further information is available on this excellent thread:

Series trunnions