LT77 short stick to long stick- issues?

In my 90, I have a disco engine and disco short stick LT77 (so the best lever comes out through the middle seat). 

I’m wanting to refurb the gearbox, so thinking I may as well change it for a defender LT77 long stick instead, so the gear levers are on the in the standard position. 

Will this affect the position of the transfer box, will I have to change mounting positions, etc? May seem like a stupid question, but basically can I just directly replace it without having to make any major changes to the chassis. 

Thanks
J

Edited by Geojake

I'm guessing when somebody swapped in the disco engine and gearbox, they kept the transfer box position so the propshafts were the right length and worked from there. The disco LT77 has a much longer bellhousing than a defender one, so your engine ends up further forward. If you want to swap in a defender lt77 and keep the transfer box in the same place then the engine will need to move back a few inches, effectively putting it in the stock position for a defender. Doing this with the disco engine can cause issues with the turbo / exhaust position, but there are well documented workarounds for this.

Thanks Dave, that makes sense. I’ll have to dig out the dimensions between propshafts to check the xfer box is in standard position. There is no evidence lt230 brackets have been moved bit I’ll need to check it all first to have a proper understanding. 

Post up a few pictures of what you have but the easiest solution might be to stick with a discovery gearbox and fit the defender top housing and gearsticks to it using a converter, if you can't get a converter you will need the defender selector shaft built into the disco box.

I’m not with the car at the minute, but some pics I have are attached. You can see how my gearstick is at present, and hopefully you can see the (Range Rover?) engine mounts in position.

From what I’ve read, these mounts look correct for the 200tdi position? Can anyone confirm.

If it is possible with an adapter, this would be something of interest. 

3F3B2D2F-F0FE-4F8D-97F4-EF944B40DAE5.jpeg

2E8EBBEB-D10E-4036-AD21-116CEF84A659.jpeg

Edited by Geojake

Okay. So I’ve ordered a lt77 defender top, and will need to buy the selector yoke adapter to see if it’s a good option. Any noticeable differences between the Ashcroft and the Syncro adapters? Obviously will need slight modification for lt77 rather than r380.   

https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/product/selector-rail-adapter-yolk/

vs

https://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/product/selector-shaft-adapter-quadrant/

Cheers
J