Acceleration Lag Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6?!?

GTRekky

Hello forum,

I have a 2012 Discovery 4 SDV6 which suffers from “lag” when setting off from stationary. I had it mapped by Alive Tuning to resolve this issue however it didn’t appear to make much difference. I have since tried 2 new MAF sensors which also didn’t resolve the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it’s gotten to the point where it is dangerous pulling out of junctions and I no longer have confidence driving the car.

For reference, I also have a 2015 Discovery 4 with the same engine and similar mileage however this doesn’t suffer as much as this one.

Please see the following video where the car is in “D” drive, and I take my right foot off the brake and then straight on the accelerator. You can see the car takes its time, almost crawling off the line before whoosh, it takes off like a rocket ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQz32Kaw_g

Thanks,

Ben

Re the 3.0 V6 in the Disco4. Have you found the 'LR Time' channel on U=Tube?

I don't know if they have a release relating to the problem you describe, but they do a lot of DIY in their own examples of this model, so you may find items of interest.

Regards.

16 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Re the 3.0 V6 in the Disco4. Have you found the 'LR Time' channel on U=Tube?

I don't know if they have a release relating to the problem you describe, but they do a lot of DIY in their own examples of this model, so you may find items of interest.

Regards.

Thanks for the suggestion, not heard of them before but I'll certainly check them out and look for any ideas.

58 minutes ago, GTRekky said:

It does yes, I have tried both D & S and also tried the multiple terrain options e.g. sand mode and that makes no difference either.

Then I'd look into the throttle pedal and such. Finding someone with the right diagnostic gear to see live values of what's going on will probably be essential for this, if you don't want to just throw parts at it.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Then I'd look into the throttle pedal and such. Finding someone with the right diagnostic gear to see live values of what's going on will probably be essential for this, if you don't want to just throw parts at it.

Really appreciate the advice. I'm a VAG man at heart and usually use VCDS for any live data. Could you recommend a suitable software / scanner solution which is capable of reading and logging live data from these disco 4s? 

15 hours ago, GTRekky said:

Really appreciate the advice. I'm a VAG man at heart and usually use VCDS for any live data. Could you recommend a suitable software / scanner solution which is capable of reading and logging live data from these disco 4s? 

I think IIDTool is the most popular one? Not sure, I don't have a D4, but have heard members on here talk about it.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I think IIDTool is the most popular one? Not sure, I don't have a D4, but have heard members on here talk about it.

After my earlier posts I recalled that there were were 'universal' support tools recommended in LR Time, and they are the IIDTool and the Disco3.co.uk web site, where, to paraphrase Hans, you can enter fault codes and find the solution someone else found 10 years ago.

And yes, Hans (of LRTime) uses the Disco3 site for the Disco 4s he works on.

Regards.