Strange park brake fault

dono

Hi folks , I'm new to the forum so go easy on me, I've recently bought a discovery 4 on a 11 plate ,auto, deisel 3.0 now i bought this with a fault that I thought I could get my head around and at the moment I'm scratching it, its with the epb , I know these vehicles have a common fault with the epb and by reading alot if different things it should have been a fix I could deal with but for whatever reason mine is not straight forward if I apply the brake it holds and works fine if I then put the vehicle in drive and pull away again it works fine ,you hear it wind back and all is well , but if after applying it I then push the swich down to release, it throws up a error message on the dash and won't clear until I turn off the ignition and restart, has anyone experienced this fault and can point me in the right direction as as far as I can tell all is well with the actuator as it does work both ways only not with the swich. Thanks in advance guys.

I don't have a solution - but my guess would be the calibration.  It senses the tension in the cables & load on the motor (most likely both by measuring the motor current).  I would guess the required release current is too high - but when you put it in drive & start to roll, the movement helps push the shoes back in.

When you replace the brake shoes, there's a calibration procedure - which seems, in part, to teach the EPP what's OK.

I would get the park brake shoes replaced by someone with the right computer to do the calibration properly.

(Welcome to LR4x4, by the way 🙂)

Thank you for the reply , that does sound plausable as it has had a recent pair of shoes fitted by the last owner , maybe not correctly , I am maybe going to have another look at it this coming weekend  and see if I can adjust up the shoes correctly (weather pending) and more importantly see if there is any parts missing ie springs ect .  We have a computer that does fault finds ect ect but I would imagine it may need a special software lr related to calibrate properly.