Winch Cable

pugwash

cheers andy

right who's going to stand up for wire then?

What do you want to know about wire rope?

There are a large number of rope constructions, but most of these aren't suitable for the type of winching we do.

An important ratio is:

Drum or sheave diameter divided by the outer wire diameter (of the outer rope strands). This affects the working stress in the wires, as the rope is bent over the drum or sheave under tension.

For our application, with small diameter winch drums (and small dia. sheaves in snatch blocks), this dictates small outer wires.

Small outer wires = large number of wires in the strands.

The downside of small outer wires is lower resistance to abrasive wear.

An advantage of small outer wires is a more flexible rope, which is easier to handle.

Another important ratio is:

Drum or sheave diameter divided by the rope diameter. This also affects the working stress in the wires, as the rope is bent over the drum or sheave under tension.

For our small diameter winch drums, we are forced to use small diameter ropes (about 8mm).

To maximise the 'minimum rope breaking strength', we would use a wire rope core (to maximise metalic area) and high strength wire 1770MPa preferred or 1570MPa.

Hi all.

I have two landies....a 4.6 Discovery and a 4.6 Defender 130.

Both are equipped with an electric winch and both have steel cable.

Here's my question about wire rope.

Would you have any idea on when it was about to break or snap during a winching excercise?

In our offroading stucks we would normally use a winch to get a car out of a sand bowl or as a last extreme....the preferred methods are usually a tug with the snatch strap.

I've used the 8000lb Ramsey on my Disco a couple of times combined with my Pul-Pal. The cable never seemed to be under any kind of strain and I was able to pull myself up the sides of the bowl and then over the top.

At the time of breaking a steel cable....would you have any idea that it was about to break..IE, the motor of the winch was straining under load, getting hot, the truck hardly moving because of the rolling resistance etc.

I've never seen a winch cable break so I have no idea what might to expect.

But I think I have enough sense to say when a winch was struggling and when it wasn't.

Both my steel cables are 5/8 dia and in very good condition...the 130 one has yet to be used. I just finished the instalation yesterday.

Who can comment after actually being there when a steel rope broke?

Hi all.

I have two landies....a 4.6 Discovery and a 4.6 Defender 130.

Both are equipped with an electric winch and both have steel cable.

Here's my question about wire rope.

Would you have any idea on when it was about to break or snap during a winching excercise?

In our offroading stucks we would normally use a winch to get a car out of a sand bowl or as a last extreme....the preferred methods are usually a tug with the snatch strap.

I've used the 8000lb Ramsey on my Disco a couple of times combined with my Pul-Pal. The cable never seemed to be under any kind of strain and I was able to pull myself up the sides of the bowl and then over the top.

At the time of breaking a steel cable....would you have any idea that it was about to break..IE, the motor of the winch was straining under load, getting hot, the truck hardly moving because of the rolling resistance etc.

I've never seen a winch cable break so I have no idea what might to expect.

But I think I have enough sense to say when a winch was struggling and when it wasn't.

Both my steel cables are 5/8 dia and in very good condition...the 130 one has yet to be used. I just finished the instalation yesterday.

Who can comment after actually being there when a steel rope broke?

you get no warning they just let go