Electrical Gremlins - Bad Earth?

Hi all, first post here & a relative newbie to Defenders so hoping somebody can assist me. 

Vehicle has been running absolutely fine, but recently developed a series of strange electrical issues (I think after driving on some particularly rough ground)

• Full beam works fine when stalk pushed forward. Blue light on dash illuminates. But suddenly refuses to "flash" when stalk pulled forwards. Blue light doesn't illuminate either. 
  • RH electric window occasionally unresponsive to switch. Usually takes a few tries, for the window to move. 
  • Random lights show on the dash after driving on rough terrain, then slowly flicker/fade out.

As I say, these things are all relatively new and have appeared at the same time, which makes me think a loose earth, but wouldn't know where to start looking. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks! 

Hi and welcome.

The light systems earths through their bulbs, so the headlight flash fault is not an Earth problem.  It will be either the live feed to the flash side of the stalk switch (might have a blown fuse) which bypasses the main light switch.  If it isn’t the feed, then it’s the stalk switch itself, which is all the more likely if you have halogen headlights buy no relays - the halogen bulbs increase current which then burns out the switches, but normally it is the contacts for the selected beam setting, not the flash contacts, that melt into the plastic mounting.  Worth checking, though.

Electric window switches are cheaply made and do break internally, so I’d recommend swapping the two switches over to see if the fault follows the switches or stays put.  That’ll tell you whether it’s the switch or the wiring and contacts that are faulty.

The dash flickering could be faulty feeds or earths, only close examination and cleaning of the terminals and connections will tell., 

@Snagger what a helpful response, thank you so much. 

If the flasher is fuse related, where is this fuse located on a TD5? To check the switch I simply remove the wheel & cowl and have a dig about I assume?

Good idea RE the switches, will swap them over and assess. 

Will dig out a diagram to figure out where the earths are located and give them a clean.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help

• Like 1

Sorry, I don’t have a Defender and never a TD5, so don’t know the specifics or locations of the electrics.  You should be able to locate a fuse map or key on the inside of the fuse box covers in the engine bay, under the left seat or the main fuse box cover under the dash, above the gear box tunnel.

If you have several dash lights that flash or flicker simultaneously, then it’ll be a shared wiring problem.  I’d look first at the wiring from the main light switch (red with white trace, if I remember correctly).  I suspect the terminal is a bit loose and slipping off the switch blade terminal or making poor contact, though it could be a similar fault on the earth connection inside the instrument pod.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:12 AM, Snagger said:

Sorry, I don’t have a Defender and never a TD5, so don’t know the specifics or locations of the electrics.  You should be able to locate a fuse map or key on the inside of the fuse box covers in the engine bay, under the left seat or the main fuse box cover under the dash, above the gear box tunnel.

If you have several dash lights that flash or flicker simultaneously, then it’ll be a shared wiring problem.  I’d look first at the wiring from the main light switch (red with white trace, if I remember correctly).  I suspect the terminal is a bit loose and slipping off the switch blade terminal or making poor contact, though it could be a similar fault on the earth connection inside the instrument pod.

Perfect, thank you so much. Will have a rummage once this Highland rain stops...!