Adelaide info wanted

steve_a

We have finally decided that we are going to make the move to Oz, and because of the close connection of where I work here in the UK and the Oz government equivalent I am thinking that Adelaide is going to be top of the list, though to be honest, having looked around it seems that we like Adelaide best anyway.

So I noticed there is at least 1 member from that region, so thought I'd get some info on what happens, what 4x4 activities there are etc.

I'm thinking about shipping my 90 across when we go but having had a discovery since August 06 I'm wondering if I will be able to make best use of the 90 (a truck cab to boot!) out there if the off road events are some distance, getting used to comfort and space.

We are planning to get out in September for 3-4 weeks to see what the different areas are like and also to hopefully meet with some possible job leads from a friend, it would be great perhaps to hitch a ride with anyone when dates firm up so we could see what the leisure side of our new lifestyle is really like.

many thanks

Steve (will I become Steveo if I move?)

Well i brought my 90 over with me . alot easer to do than people who have not done it tell you it is :)

The 90 will pass all the aussie regs so no worries about that

Adelaide is nice , get a bit hot there from time to time.

We were down there about a year ago now. Not one of the biggest cities. But abit to see around there . Lots of churches :)

Some nice beaches around there

Robe%20Beach%20SA.jpg

Lots of salt lakes around there

Salt%20Lake%20at%20Salt%20Creek%20SA.jpg

Not far from the bight

Australian%20bight.jpg

And the Nullarbor

90%20mile%20straight.jpg

and of course Kangeroo Island . Nice place but bloody expensive to get to on the ferry (in aus terms :) )

We have finally decided that we are going to make the move to Oz, and because of the close connection of where I work here in the UK and the Oz government equivalent I am thinking that Adelaide is going to be top of the list, though to be honest, having looked around it seems that we like Adelaide best anyway.

So I noticed there is at least 1 member from that region, so thought I'd get some info on what happens, what 4x4 activities there are etc.

I'm thinking about shipping my 90 across when we go but having had a discovery since August 06 I'm wondering if I will be able to make best use of the 90 (a truck cab to boot!) out there if the off road events are some distance, getting used to comfort and space.

We are planning to get out in September for 3-4 weeks to see what the different areas are like and also to hopefully meet with some possible job leads from a friend, it would be great perhaps to hitch a ride with anyone when dates firm up so we could see what the leisure side of our new lifestyle is really like.

many thanks

Steve (will I become Steveo if I move?)

Hi Stevo ;)

Well, 90s have never been popular in Australia, principally because of the limited space that is a pain when travelling our sort of distances. Rember that we have a lot of areas off road available, but it is nothing to spend 400km or more on the bitumen before you get to the start of your off road track. The 110 is far more popular, but really a Disco is probably the better choice for all but the most extreme tracks. At least the A/C works and they're better at maintaining a decent level of highway speed. I wouldn't bother bringing a Disco out with you, they don't hold their value at all well, so they're cheap as chips to buy here.

All sorts of off road travelling is available here, from miles and miles of ocean front sand, desert treks and some very steep rocky areas only a few hours North. Probably the only thing you wont find is mud. Have a look here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4859

There is an official Landrover club in Adelaide. They are quite active, but are largely trek oriented.

http://www.lrregsa.org.au/

Adelaide of course is the finest city in Australia (but I think everybody already knows that). :D

Paul :rolleyes:

you had your 90 tarted up at b4x4 before it went across.

Did you re-chassis it at the time, my chassis looks a bit manky towards the rear, I was planning to do a full swap out there when I have more space and better weather, but will they accept it if wax oiled etc or does it need to be uber clean, which I'd be amazed if i could get mine to be!

Tyres: not a massive issue, but would i better just buying a set of new tyres to be shipped out on rather than taking part worns, the link I had to importing vehicles seemed to suggest that worn tyres would be suspect of holding nasty foreign material.

A more general question would be, would a set of something like BFG muds be best or go for a brand new set of Grizzlies to replace the ones i have. what would be best for Oz?

If anyone in the Adelaide area is after a software engineer with 10 years experience in every language you care to think of, then give me a shout :)

you had your 90 tarted up at b4x4 before it went across.

Did you re-chassis it at the time, my chassis looks a bit manky towards the rear, I was planning to do a full swap out there when I have more space and better weather, but will they accept it if wax oiled etc or does it need to be uber clean, which I'd be amazed if i could get mine to be!

Tyres: not a massive issue, but would i better just buying a set of new tyres to be shipped out on rather than taking part worns, the link I had to importing vehicles seemed to suggest that worn tyres would be suspect of holding nasty foreign material.

A more general question would be, would a set of something like BFG muds be best or go for a brand new set of Grizzlies to replace the ones i have. what would be best for Oz?

If anyone in the Adelaide area is after a software engineer with 10 years experience in every language you care to think of, then give me a shout :)

Had it tarted up 3 years before we sent it to Aus So was running around Hampshire for 3 years before it came here looking like it does

Nah i did not replace the chassis. But if you rear cross member was need of a new one. I would do it in the Uk. As parts for 90's are limited here. (well the only parts thats are hard to find are rear cross members, rear body panels and rear props. The rest is the same as a 110)

My chassis just had a good waxoil and then came over. But never mind how clean you get it they will clean it when it get here. They do this in 99.9% of cases. (BTW for this remeber this on bikes and lawn mowers and stuff. Know people who have $100 bike and get charged $400 to clean it ,)

My tyres were a set of BFG AT and were 3 years old on the car (when i shipped the car over here) , but i bought them second hand in the first place. They were legal and no one mentioned the tyres to me . In fact over a year later and the same tyres are still on the car. Do need replacing now after the 25,000 miles trip around aus

As for tyres . The best for general out here seems to be BFG AT they are grast on road and great off road (for here. Not too much mud just dust and gravel alot of the time). But tyres are not much diifferant in price here to the uk anyway so i would not rush out and buy a set just get here and the decide what tyyres you want to run