Military gearbox?

Pyrover

I wonder if one of you fine military types would be good enough to answer the following.

According to replies I've got from the Defender forum I seem to have a military gearbox (51A) fitted to my 110 2.5NA. The gearbox is showing the usual signs of wear and the backlash is quite severe, therefore some time in the not to distant future it will need looking at.

I have just recently downloaded a copy of the "Supplementary parts catalogue" for military 110's, which shows the main differences between the civvy and military gearboxes; what I would like to know is are there any issues I should be aware of with this type of gearbox? Is it hard to get parts for? Is it hard to find someone to service it? Is it more expensive to get serviced? Where would you recommend I go to get it reconditioned?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Guest diesel_jim

The only difference (AFAIK) is the 1st and 2nd gear clusters are different (lower ratio), the rest is as per a civvy one

(in fact, in my mil paper parts book it states "for all other parts refer to the commercial parts list")