DII throttle pedal

MattH

Hi all,

First post on this forum :D

I bought a D2 (late 2001 model) a week ago and have noticed there seems to be about 2cm of travel in the accelerator pedal before the revs start to pick up. I didnt notice it when I had a test drive probably because you always over compensate for a strange clutch etc.

There also seems to be delay after this point before the revs build and a bit of shunting at low speeds. Are they all related somehow?

I used to run a Disco 1 and have a series3 swb so the mechanical bits arnt a problem but the electrical bits on the TD5 are completely alien to me. I have read about oil running down the wiring loom, can I just disconnect it or is there a special method to do it like disconnect battery and stand on head whilst whislting dixie.

Thanks in advance for your help

Matt

Welcome :)

Delay/shunty throttle are not uncommon on a Td5 and if really bad it is sometimes caused by a dodgy clutch sensor. The cheap solution is to unplug it (sensor on top of the master cylinder) which will disable the ASC but you may then find it is too jerky. The Td5s are never good in this respect though, only bearable, so it may be worth either trying some others if you can, or getting an opinion from a long-time Td5 owner.

Just ensure the ignition is off and you can disconnect the injector harness with no other problems. It is easy to change (just take the rocker cover off, unplug 5 injectors, unplug from harness, take out, fit new one) no computer required and harness costs about 40 quid. Clean out the plugs on the main harness and on the ECU with electrical contact cleaner and it will usually be fine.

Welcome :)

Delay/shunty throttle are not uncommon on a Td5 and if really bad it is sometimes caused by a dodgy clutch sensor. The cheap solution is to unplug it (sensor on top of the master cylinder) which will disable the ASC but you may then find it is too jerky. The Td5s are never good in this respect though, only bearable, so it may be worth either trying some others if you can, or getting an opinion from a long-time Td5 owner.

Just ensure the ignition is off and you can disconnect the injector harness with no other problems. It is easy to change (just take the rocker cover off, unplug 5 injectors, unplug from harness, take out, fit new one) no computer required and harness costs about 40 quid. Clean out the plugs on the main harness and on the ECU with electrical contact cleaner and it will usually be fine.

This is more likely to be the throttle control unit at the top of the accellerator pedal. Its basically a variable resitor, and the first part is the most used, and gets worn. They can be reprogrammed to use a part of the travel further down, but its easier to replace the throttle control unit.

Al

Thanks Guys for the info, had a look at the wiring loom coming out of the rocker cover, nice and dry so im off to the main stealers this week to get a new pedal and pot. ( I suppose I had better sit down before he tells me the price though!!!!! :o )

Cheers

Matt

Pedal £46, clutch switch £6 clutch, switch easy to change but will need bleeding, throttle pedal easy to get out fun refitting the nuts on reassembly.

Changed mine as the revs were not dropping instantly when changing gear and it now drives better and smoother.

Still has the 2 cms of dead pedal though!

Take the old pedal apart and look at the track and you will see where its worn away.

Lynall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pic of worn track

The worn bit is the thin white line at the top of the 4 black lines this is where it has actually worn through.

Lynall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC01209.JPG

Description:

Filesize: 60.46 KB

Viewed: 0 Time(s)