Water pump bracket - alternator dowel

Hi Folks,

in the process of replacing the water pump bracket on our Defender 300 Tdi.

Noticed that on the new replacement there needs to be a dowel fitted for the other dowel in the alternator to abut against. Highlighted in the image below.

Is there a part number for the dowel which fits into the bracket? It may be possible to sacrifice further the old bracket to extract?

Many Thanks,

Simon...

Bracket.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the link. Been trawling over that earlier too.

In fact there was no stud used to mount the alternator. Just a long bolt and nut on the other side. Same as screen shot from one of Mike's fantastic videos (Britannica Restorations Ltd)

The first screen shot also shows the dowel inserted.

Might have to resort to extraction for original bracket. However, that could be a fair amount of effort.

Bracket1.png

Bracket2.png

Edited by simonpelly

Hi Folks,

With some very careful use of a Dremel, managed to extract the spacer by sacrificing further support bracket material around the hole.

Not seen this as an identifiable part which can be purchased. Thoughts?

Some images of its dimensions in case a new one needed to be fashioned.

Simon...

Width.jpg

Internal Diameter.jpg

External Diameter.jpg

I think it is supposed to be part of the bracket, all the images I can find of the oem bracket show it fitted, just not aftermarket ones. I would think it is there to prevent the alloy from wearing too quickly from movement of the alternator. 

Edited by Paul C

@Paul C Thanks. I assumed also that it was there to prevent wear on the bracket from movement of the alternator. I've managed to successfully fit the old one to the new bracket.

It no longer seems possible to source genuine new brackets. I've also not seen any manufacturer/SKU that has this fitted (OEM or pattern).

If you have a link to one where it's fitted it would be interesting for sure. Thanks!