Alternator upgrade on 3.9efi

landy_andy

Hi,

Have just fitted a 100A alternator to my 3.9efi. Sourced from a 4.2 RaRo.... LR part number is AMR4247. These all appear to have 4 mounting lugs so can be fitted either side of engine. You'll need to make some spacers up as the lugs are on a different pitch but washers work as well. Shaft is larger and I got a pulley for a fiver from a local auto electrician who rebuilds them. Will post a pic later.

Cheers,

Andy

I bought that same alternator with the intention of fitting a pair to the 110, they are also fitted to later 3.9's with the pollyvee belt front end, and appear to be the same as 300tdi, although I may be wrong there. On a casual inspection they appear to be a direct replacement for the standard 85amp in either left or right positions as below

SD530390.jpg

I look forward to seeing your photo's and solution - it saves me having to do too much thinking ;)

Lewis :)

Hi,

Here are a few pics, as you'll see the pitch of the mounting lugs is alot smaller than the Lucas alternators. When I get chance I'll get some spacers turned up and also move the pulley along the shaft as well. This'll allow me to move the alt backwards and get rid of the 2 washers on the front lug and also making the back spacer a bit shorter too. I looked at quite a few 300tdi alt's and they were all 3 lug and the wrong hand for my application.

These are 100A types (I asked the vendor) and look like they'll fit ok....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-alternator...VQQcmdZViewItem

OK.... some more here, fitting is for P38 RaRo, AMR4247 is 100A & AMR2938 is 120A (heated screen version)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-P38-V8-4...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-P38-V8-4...VQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,

Andy

post-504-1171624847_thumb.jpg

post-504-1171624853_thumb.jpg

post-504-1171624859_thumb.jpg

I looked at quite a few 300tdi alt's and they were all 3 lug and the wrong hand for my application

The alt i've got is the same part number as yours (IIRC) but has only three lugs like the 300 alts, it appears the rear can be clocked to allow fitting to either side of the engine too. Its a Magnetti Marrelli

The alt i've got is the same part number as yours (IIRC) but has only three lugs like the 300 alts, it appears the rear can be clocked to allow fitting to either side of the engine too. Its a Magnetti Marrelli

Hi,

I looked at that but you have to be careful, some have 4 bolt fixings and not 3.... thus they won't clock (90 deg's rotation not 120). Also, the stator windings in the Bosch or Marrelli ones appear to be bonded into the front hsg and it doesn't look an easy job at all. May be more hassle that paying an extra 30 quid to get one that drops straight on.

Cheers,

Andy