Will these fit and be appropriate?

Pete Attryde

Morning all,

I currently have a set of year old (lightly used) yellow 1" lift springs on my 1996 disco and the rears are already starting to sag which considering I don't tow anything and don't carry heavy loads is less than impressive but I did get a good deal when I bought them as I got Procomp ES9000 shocks with them for a good price.

So to my question, I would like to replace the springs with the following as they are cheap, fronts NRC2119 (green stripe) diesel rangie front springs (lh&rh) and NRC4304 (red/white stripe) rangie H/duty rear springs. I have seen elsewhere on here that the rears are used by quite a few rangie owners.

Do people think these would be an appropriate choice and yes it is cost driven. I only use my truck for my daily commute plus some laning and fundays and it doesn't have a winch fitted. I am not to bothered if they would not give a lift but I suspect that they might give a small amount over say standard disco springs.

Cheers in advance,

Pete.

I have Red/whites on the back of my disco, and in my opinion they are too soft. The are quite long springs, but a rangie has the boge self leveller, which acts as another spring essentially, so at 170lb/in the red/whites are a bit soft.

As yet, however, I havn't found a good replacement for them. Discovery HD progressives are supposed to be good bits of kit...

Cheers

Mark

I have red and whites on the front and the rear. With nothing in the car, the the front is _very_nose high. Now, I know they are long springs, but at the rear, I had very little wheel arch gap. Not a great picture, but you get the idea:

discosideshot.jpg

I added 2" spacers at the back to bring it up level, and a winch on the front to weigh it down.

Whenever I have my recovery gear in the back, and a full tank of diesel, it is back to sagging slightly again. If I have people in the back seat it is also quite noticeable. So we are not talking big loads, just the normal sort of stuff.

Of road, they are great, because they are so soft, but I think they need to be stiffer for general use.

They are great on the back of a 90, but there is so much less heavy car on the back of a 90 compared to a disco, and they are designed to work in conjunction with the self-leveller on a RRC.

Just my 2p worth.

anyone got rough figures for the sprung weight (front and rear) of a standard disco 1?

I have kind of taken a best guess using LR90's spring calc and come up with 1800lbs for the front and 1700lbs for the rear does this seem reasonable?

Pete.

edit to add some numbers

Cheers ff,

I have already had a play with the spring calc (see post edit) and tried to work backwards assuming a standard ride height of 10ish inches at the front and 11.5ish inches at the back and then used the numbers for the standard disco 1 springs to give very approximate sprung weights..

Pete.

According to info I have which may of course be well out of date there are rear progressive springs for RR part nrs (NTC3285) 435 long green / pink progressive 120 -180 lbs, and passenger side (NRC 8113) 418 long pink / purple 120 - 180 lbs progressive.

According to same data your Disco springs are 431 long 170 lbs

Might help ?