Silly question again, rear crossmember Doh!

Rustyrangie

Hi all,

Me again with another of my silly questions.

I've just replaced the rear crossmember, not a nice job to do, but it's in.

Now the silly bit. I threw away the old crossmember weeks ago so I don't have anything to refer to.

I know there's a lip welded to the back edge but I can't remember it's shape.

I seem to recall it had a return edge making a sort of "U" shape lying on its side with the open bit of the U facing the interior.

Presumably this locates the boot floor cover.

Can anyone confirm this please and also give me the dimensions (width height etc.) so I can make up a replacement.

Note to self...Never throw anything away until you've got and fitted its replacement!

Cheers Bob :)

Shame you didn't post this a week okay - I've just replaced my boot floor, so could have measured up for you really easily :(

Not sure what age your rangie is, but on my '93 (later type spot welded floor) the floor just sits on a ledge at either end - I don't remember it being a U-section, but it might have been. The new floor is corrugated ally, drilled and pop riveted to the same ledges.

On mine, the corrugated floor just sat on the ledges all the way round and was rivetted into place.

boot08.jpg

On top of the whole floor area was 2 shaped layers of foam which sat into the corrugations, but was flat on top. At the very rear, there was another lip of rubber which i think just filled in from the rear crossmember height up to the same level as the floor .....

tailgate01.jpg

But i think that rubber came from a later range rover.

I do recall that before, there as a aluminium strip which was just like a large version of the brass strips that join bits of carpets in doorways. It was curved ontop and on the side that faced the interior, it had a u-shaped section to grab the carpet.

It was alu and it wasn't welded to the rear cross member. I dont remember how it was joined / fixed down when i think about it.

Thanks guys,

the ally strip seems a good idea.

A lot easier than trying to make up a steel section and less likely rot out the top of the cross member like the old one did.

Off to see my friendly local carpet fitter.

Bob :)

I've got a spare one if you want it - I had that and a rubber strip like the one above, but I went for the rubber. I think I've got a rubber seal for the front edge too.

fisha, has your rubber strip been trimmed? Mine extends back and forms a (corrugated) seal under the edge of the alloy floor. My floor does sit on a ledge in some places down the sides :blink: Still got some repairs to do there. Fibreglass in my case, since I don't weld and I reckon it'll do a perfectly good job, but welding new edges in would be better.

Geoff,

I cant remember properly about it all, and i cant really check as i've sold the RR since. The whole floor was a bit of an unusual setup anyway. if you look at the first pic, you'll see duct tape running across the whole floor. The duct tape is covering a gap cause i chopped the floor in the half. this was so i could mount the tank in the front half and be able to remove the rear half of the floor without messing with the tank at the front. I had grand ideas about using the space where the petrol tank would sit ( either a winch or modifying the exhaust to make a twin exit etc.

It needed an extra support underneath which i did with a bit of right angle.

chassis01.jpg

so when it came to putting it all back together, i probably just trimmed the bits to suit !