Anyone using Hinged Front Radius and Rear Trailing Arms

Warthog

Been looking at this option for awhile and just wondering is anyone running them?

A plan of mine would be to run them with the X-eng springs. As im not a great lover of dislocation set-ups and super long springs. But thats just a personal opinion......IMHO X-Springs to me bring the 2 options together well?

Just out of curiosity, those who are running the X-springs. What shock and spring set-up are you running?

Cheers

Mark

I've been experimenting with effectively hinged hockey sticks.

It does free up the front end tremendously - at least as much as 3 link. However, it also adds asymmetry. As you accelerate it tips the vehicle one way and when you brake it tips the other. Normally these effects cancel out.

It's still perfectly drivable - but a bit scary if you are not expecting it!

I built an adjustable damper to slow down anything 'surprising' so yo have time to react safely. That works surprisingly well - and would be fab in place of an anti roll bar (adjustable roll damping) - but it does not cure the asymmetry.

I would only go down this route if you really really want to free the front end. A better (IMHO) option is to buy one rock hard pair of hockey stick bushes and fit them on the passenger side and a pair of soft ones for the drivers side. This gives you more movement but with less asymmetry.

Another option is a hard and soft on each arm with the hard at the front on one side and back on the other. This would still limit axle roll on accelerate and brake, but restore more of the symmetry. Not tried this, but it 'feels' like a good solution.

I'll not comment on the springs - as that could be viewed as advertising!

Si

The hinged Hockey and trialling arms, i have been looking at. Lock into stock position for normal driving and then are allowed to pivot when Off-Road. I assume this would be a simple answer to on road manner?

Would a 4 link set-up be a better option?

As for the Springs? Hope ya going to "OLD SODDERS" ?

As for the Springs? Hope ya going to "OLD SODDERS" ?

Yup!

The trouble with the hinged arms is getting the pin back in! Difficult on a flat driveway - impossible in the car park of your fav site (apparently!)

Si

Yup!

The trouble with the hinged arms is getting the pin back in! Difficult on a flat driveway - impossible in the car park of your fav site (apparently!)

Si

Oh well, guess i'll just come and badger you at Sodders and see what options there are.... ;)

Looking at the Jeep TJ front ends they use 4 control arms and a anti-roll bar to supplement on road handling. What would you reckon to a set-up like this on the front end of a 90? Using a dis-connects on the roll bar for Off-Road.

Been looking at this option for awhile and just wondering is anyone running them?

A plan of mine would be to run them with the X-eng springs. As im not a great lover of dislocation set-ups and super long springs. But thats just a personal opinion......IMHO X-Springs to me bring the 2 options together well?

Just out of curiosity, those who are running the X-springs. What shock and spring set-up are you running?

Cheers

Mark

I ran a hinged radius arm from Ferrilever. Redesigned it and made a new one. Took it off and gave it away.

Great on ramps, lovely for wandering over rocks in a flat river bed. NOt good when you get the front up a big step and then accelerate to bring up the rear. Torque steer like you cannot imagine. Scary at times.

The above is based on real world experience!!!!

FB