Not Starting

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

The wifes motor is usualy good at starting no matter what the weather. Over the last year or so it plays up every now and again. Did it on Sat morning in B&Q. Drove there fine, got out locked it as usual and did the shopping. Came back to the car and tried to start. No joy. Sat still locked and alarmed it and tried again. No joy. Did this 4 times then it burst into life. The last time it did this was about 2 months ago.

Any ideas anyone.

Don't know but the immob system on the Td4 is a BMW system (because it is a BMW engine) and the immob is a passive unit built in to the key, the separate alarm plip just locks and unlocks the car and does the alarm, it isn't involved with immobilisation like on most other LR's which have the two button version.

I suggest you carry the spare key for a while and next time it goes wrong maybe try it with the spare key? Unlocking and relocking probably has no effect on the immobiliser on these. It could be the pickup unit inside the steering column or something - IIRC the key doesn't have a battery, the immobiliser is "activated" by some sort of a signal from the steering column and responds to that.

Guest WALFY

Cheers for that will now tell her indoors to take the spare set with her. The plipper does have 2 buttons. 1 to lock and the other 1 opens all the doors in 2 stages. First push opens the drivers door and a second push will open the rest.

As a matter of interest I got given a copy of the Autocar glossy brochure titled Falklands by Freelander. Some nice pics of it strutting around and a few pics up to its nuts in mud. Not had chance to read it properly, will try over the next week or so.

It's a good article and it was bluddy good fun making it :) you will find my name crops up "a few times" (OK about 50...) - I was one of the two vehicles leading the trip and it was the best week at "work" in 10 years :lol:

• 1 month later...

My wifes TD4 did the same to us 2 days ago. Driving for an hour on the highway, pulled over for a coffee & after 5 mins stoped (alarm not activated) the little oil burner turned over but no one home!

Rang local dealer for idea's & tried locking/unlocking etc, with no help. Couldn't hear fuel pump so swapped relays checked fuses & eventually pulled the "out" hose form the sensor/sender unit on top of tank off (thought that was the in tank pump - bad info from dealer!), after that it burst into life....

Read somewhere else last night it happens very intermittently & one guy had his TD4 with the dealer for 3 days with no joy!

:angry: Been having a very similar problem.

Picked up an 02 plate TD4 100k for a very reasonable price, drives nice, no real untoward noises, never towed or been off road so overall very happy...

Until...

After a few weeks, it developed a non-starting from warm thing. It was fine froom cold after a night on the drive, but at any point after that during the day, after 5 minutes or 8 hours, it would just turn over for about 15 seconds before starting. A friend of mine suggested the cam sensor, so I removed, placed in freezer for 10 minutes to get back to cold & replaced - tried this a few times with mixed success but as it seemed like a (relatively) cheap place to start, I parted with my £40 and a quick five minutes saw it replaced. BUGGER!!! Didn't work.

After a further month of waiting til there is no-one in the car-park before attempting to start, the problem is getting worse and has now started to take a few goes from cold as well.

Can anybody shed any light before I am reduced to wearing a false beard & moustache everytime I try and start the blessed thing ??? :angry::angry::angry:

Sorted the problem with the wifes TD4 over the weekend. Actually wouldn't start from cold & the 2nd (lift) fuel pump in the aft right wheel arch was the culprit. Checked the volts where present & still nogo till a little persuasion (technical tap) kicked it into life.

My local dealer wnat's $1000 kiwi for a replacement, so I'll be stripping the litlle sucker next weekend & checking brush wear etc.

I'm advised the later TD4's don't have this 2nd Lift fuel pump, only the in tank unit. I have a wiring diagram if anyone requires a copy.

• 1 month later...
Guest WALFY

Well after repeated failures to start, I sought advice and it all points to the intank fuel pump. I have 12v going in. When I have the not starting problem I removed the fuel pipe from the tank that feeds the engine (using the arrows for ref so I know it's the right 1) turn the engine over but no fuel comes out. Is this correct or does the pipe act like a airline connection ie needs to be connected to allow the fuel through. If I push something into the tank connecter to open it up when it's turning over will I cause damage. Got a price from a parts place and the pump is over 200 quid and that's not genuine :angry: :angry:

Guest weeble

Well, Ill tell you what to do. :rolleyes:

Assuming it makes it down here next weekend, Ill buy it off you!!!. :(

Shall we start the bidding at a Fiver?. :D:D

Guest WALFY
Well, Ill tell you what to do. :rolleyes:

Assuming it makes it down here next weekend, Ill buy it off you!!!. :(

Shall we start the bidding at a Fiver?. :D:D

Bloody cheeky git. Make it 6 and I'll fill the fuel tank as well :D :D :D

Guest WALFY

Well on the way to work today it packed up again. Got the misses to finaly call the AA. They diagnosed the crank sensor so I'm glad I didn't put a fuel pump on. Got it fixed in the garage next door to her work place so time will tell as to wether it is all hunky dorey.

Weeble Due to unforeseen circumstances the deal is now off. I just couldn't part with it for 6 quid. Sorry. I know you were really looking forward t owning a real Landy after all that other stuff you own. Maybe sometime soon mate :D :D :D

Guest weeble
Well on the way to work today it packed up again. Got the misses to finaly call the AA. They diagnosed the crank sensor so I'm glad I didn't put a fuel pump on. Got it fixed in the garage next door to her work place so time will tell as to wether it is all hunky dorey.

Weeble Due to unforeseen circumstances the deal is now off. I just couldn't part with it for 6 quid. Sorry. I know you were really looking forward t owning a real Landy after all that other stuff you own. Maybe sometime soon mate :D :D :D

:angry::angry:

Sorry mate a deals a deal!!!!! ;);) Good of you to get it fixed for me though. Its easier than me having to claim on the unlimited mileage warranty you offered with the car ;););)