My, my, what a big one!

Les Henson

Battery, that is! :)

I got offered a supposedly brand new ex-military heavy duty battery today, and as it was only 20 squids, I bit the blokes hand off and bought it. Just look at the size of them Terminals. Anyway, it was dry, so I took it to Bristol Batteries here in doggy-doo Swindon, and for a couple of quid, the guy filled the battery with Sulphuric acid. I brought it home and noticed that it's got warm, and is 'fermenting' (best way to describe it). Quite a pong too of rotten eggs, so that's hydrogen gas isn't it?

The guy that filled it said that the battery would need to 'set itself' with the first charge, and at present that's what's happening to it - he suggested an overnight trickle charge.

Here's a piccy of the beast - it's 14 1/2"L x 6 1/2"D x 8"H. The lettering on it says:-

CAB TYPE 328

6140-99-620-0715

12V. 60 A.H. FV546193

Is the heat and gas normal for a new battery?

Would this be suitable for an electric winch (Warn XD9000)?

Battery-copy.jpg

Les. :)

rotten eggs = hydrogen sulphide.

dunno 'bout the rest; the msell could be cause its dry charged; presumably chargedthen the acid removed for transport.

If it is new, then what you are doing sounds right. Make sure you charge it the right way so don't get cell reversal i.e. +ve terminal to red lead and so on. In thereoy you should be able to charge it so that the +ve battery terminal is -ve and vice versa.

Guest diesel_jim

Les, that looks just like the batteries that we used to have in the Fox CVR(W) vehicles at the TA cente rin swindon.

I, ahem, "borrowed" one also, which came dry charged (they all did from the military). all we had to do was fill with de-ionised water and away you went. no acid needed.

hope yours hasn't been double-acid'd..

PS... did that other battery work that i dropped off? i put it on charge for a couple of hours but i don't know how flat it was to begin with! :rolleyes: