series steering change

calvin

has anyone swapped the steering for a series to a more modern system (with power steering ) with a collapsing steering column and cutting out the relay? i have seen some info about this using non landrover steering boxes mounted to the outside of the chassis, but i am not clear if you can still use the upper part of the steering column or do you have to replace the whole lot with one from another vehicle (or will something from a defender go in) as i would like to keep the original series 3 wheel.

some insight or advice would be useful.

cheers

Defender column bolts straight in but I don't think you can keep the Series wheel as it's got the wrong splines. I have a Disco-II PAS box on the 109:

whole_setup.jpg

With defender column and RR wheel (to be replaced with something nicer as funds allow).

Defender column bolts straight in but I don't think you can keep the Series wheel as it's got the wrong splines. I have a Disco-II PAS box on the 109:

whole_setup.jpg

With defender column and RR wheel (to be replaced with something nicer as funds allow).

Later 110 defender column works well with same steering wheel, but who wants to keep the old bus steering wheel anyway?

I used defender column, defender steering box, defender droparm, and Rangie rod end. Use the existing steering rod, but turn it around cause the rangie rod end is L/H thread. You will have to cut off the steering damper fitting on the steering rod and weld on a new one. ( If you want to keep the damper) Will have to lift the box to clear the leaf springs. I put 2 holes in approx. the mid of my chassis and built a little box structure above it for the other 2 bolts. For tubing the chassis use inners of shackle bushings. They work realy well.

Sorry don't have photo's. Will take some this weekend.

post-2571-1174849409_thumb.jpgpost-2571-1174848929_thumb.jpgpost-2571-1174849155_thumb.jpgMy welding sucks but you should get the idea. Sticking to defender spares is easiest even if it might cost a little more than another option. My series3 steering wheel fits onto this defender column. (later defender according to the guy who gave me the column.) The second pic shows the rangietie rod end. The defender tie rod end has an attach point for the steering damper that I wouldn't use.

• 4 weeks later...

I found one disadvantage in this solution:

- move the cross-member

to me is, yes it's a disadvantage, I would prefer another that I can fit in the exterior of chassis, just because I have a new galv chassis.

Other question but related. I don't want to change te engine for the moment. I have the 2.25 diesel engine, and naturally is limit to fit one oil pump for PAS.

What I should do here?